Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
LOOKS cool. Big deal. Why don't you try searching for the other thread(s) about this stuff, and see where people tried BFS, and it made web browsers run like crap. You can't just drop in another cpu scheduler into the main kernel on a completely different device, do no optimizations or benchmarking, and expect better performance.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...37_video&num=1

The power kernel could definitely use this

If there is going to be a PR1.4 this should be in it.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about and thus you're getting excited over nothing. This patch is a new way of handling tasks in a group policy scheduler. It's good if you're running lots of heavy tasks on different TTYs, but on an N900 you're most likely not doing that. Basically, it wouldn't be of much if any use at all on an N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
If it does -anything- about IO-wait(and or compression tasks), I'll be happy. Right now, if you have apt doing it's thing, things near lock up.
The idea here is that multitasking will work a bit better, and it might.

Either way, it can't hurt to try.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
If it does -anything- about IO-wait(and or compression tasks), I'll be happy. Right now, if you have apt doing it's thing, things near lock up.
The idea here is that multitasking will work a bit better, and it might.

Either way, it can't hurt to try.
Oddly enough, that's one of the use-cases that would kill my N900 prior to PR1.3, and since then I've not had a case of the browser near-killing my system or it being 100% unusable while apt/HAM was doing something.

I would like to see a change set highlighting what was done to tackle this problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
n900 currently has a group policy scheduler, you can disable it or look at the settings. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=605529
probably some PR 1.3 changes added some rules to the syspart.conf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
To be honest, the proper(TM) fix for that would be for apt to run at nice level of 15. 15 means the lowest possible priority, and 0 is the default priority for applications, thus all other tasks would have priority over apt and it shouldn't bring the system to its knees. You don't need a different scheduler for that.

Of course, it was a hindsight on Nokia's part not to make apt run at nice lvl 15 all the time. One way to get around that would be to simply rename the apt binary to something else and replace it with a script that calls the actual binary but with a proper nice level.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
unless this patch gets backported to kernel 2.6.28 (which is pretty unlikely), there's no chance this'll make it even into kernel-power.

apt-* is mostly IOVRam limited anyway..

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
To be honest, the proper(TM) fix for that would be for apt to run at nice level of 15. 15 means the lowest possible priority, and 0 is the default priority for applications, thus all other tasks would have priority over apt and it shouldn't bring the system to its knees. You don't need a different scheduler for that.

Of course, it was a hindsight on Nokia's part not to make apt run at nice lvl 15 all the time. One way to get around that would be to simply rename the apt binary to something else and replace it with a script that calls the actual binary but with a proper nice level.
offtopic
Just did following
Code:
root
nice -n 15 apt-get update && nice -n 15 apt-get upgrade
And monitored processes through htop and all of them which are related to apt-get got nice value of 0. What went wrong?

.edit
And ainīt 19 the lowest level?

Last edited by slender; 2010-11-20 at 20:51.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
And monitored processes through htop and all of them which are related to apt-get got nice value of 0. What went wrong?
I just tried it myself and saw the same thing. I have no idea why nice isn't have any effect as it should. Nokia has perhaps done something odd? I really don't know.

Tags
kernel patch, linux