Active Topics

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Greece-Athens
I 've installed debian with turbo-easy-debian, but i cannot install software with apt-get. It says the following message:
Code:
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/
The pcman file manager on lxde, also, says that i dont have any free space on / .
The debian-final.img.ext2 file is 1.1 GB and it is filled. Can i enlarge the file to have free space?? What can I do?

"apt-get clean" clears cache

edit:
actually I don't know if this will solve your issue, but it doesn't hurt to try

no. there is no free space generally in the debian-final.img.ext2...

i run pcman and synaptic via the root terminal and worked (50 MB free)! however apt-get via root terminal doesn't work

As I recall, you can get more space for debian, if you make a ext2 partition on your sd card and copy the image over onto the card then make everything point to the partition and not the image. I think that it also adds some speed to doing stuff with debian too. I think that if you ask in the easy-debian thread you can get a better and more detailed description of the steps.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There are several detailed how-to posts about this. If you are an advanced user, you can use resize2fs to grow your image up to 2GB. You can also make a partition on your SD card and copy your image file into the partition.

A slightly less advanced option is to make a directory on your SD card for your apt cache and then mount it in your chroot. You have to do this each time you reboot or close the chroot, however...

If you are not that advanced, and you've done what I suggest in the Easy Debian Turbo thread's first post (use localepurge etc to get back a lot of room), then you'll have to start removing applications.

EDIT: The partition post is slightly outdated. Use gtar instead of /home/user/img-install/tar, and I would recommend running "sudo debian" to mount the image rather than "mount -o loop ..." like suggested in the linked post, since that way you can use the turbo loop.

Last edited by qole; 2009-02-03 at 20:21. Reason: see below

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Well, after about five hours, i managed to put the debian in a new partition. The problem was that i couldnt understand how to copy the files of image with the gtar and i tried to copy them with the pcmanfm and then on my desktop computer, but i couldnt copy the /dev folder. Until I read somewhere that generally on linux the /dev folder is created automatically. It s impossible to copy that files on linux because the system croushes

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ah, right. That's the reason you have to mount the image manually, instead of with the "debian" command. If you mount it with "debian" it will mount things like the /dev folder and even your /home/user folder...

You should just follow the linked post... It was right, I was wrong...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ah, right. That's the reason you have to mount the image manually, instead of with the "debian" command. If you mount it with "debian" it will mount things like the /dev folder and even your /home/user folder...

You should just follow the linked post... It was right, I was wrong...
What do you mean the "debian" commant? i used the "mount -o loop"

Originally Posted by gerstavros View Post
What do you mean the "debian" commant? i used the "mount -o loop"
It's the bit in my post above that I crossed out. I'm glad you either missed or ignored that comment and used "mount -o loop" instead!

When you're copying to your partition, the /dev directory should be empty in your mounted Debian image file. If it isn't, you need to either reboot or issue the closechroot command (as root) to make sure everything's unmounted... then you can go ahead and mount the image file. The /dev directory should be empty now.

Tags
debian, easy debian