Active Topics

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Well, there are several options, and not everyone in your situation will make the same choice you make for your choice requires a lot effort.

* Learn to deal with the Mini as manufacturer intended
Pump the breaks right there. Nokia made the OS to be as adaptable as possible to fit any mobile computing need. Its NOT a Mini, its a ball of clay, and moldable into various shapes. I'm sure with enough kneading, it can become something anyone can deal with.

And any mobile blogger that DOESN'T frequent HoFo is missing out. Learned long ago, and used to be a regular observing member. I've just recently reregistered, and glad to see you there.

The Steve Jobs emphasis on capacitive being better than resistive just stuck, and no one has been willing to challenge him on the same scale, which is the problem. We need to show how a capacitive screen isn't always optimal to close that door, and they're not guaranteed to listen anyway. I try to ignore that silly arguement. (Yeah, I ignore SOME arguments...) ;P

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Pump the breaks right there. Nokia made the OS to be as adaptable as possible to fit any mobile computing need. Its NOT a Mini, its a ball of clay, and moldable into various shapes. I'm sure with enough kneading, it can become something anyone can deal with.
Wrong. It is a Mini, no matter how you mod it, it will never be a Stationwagon.

A Nokia N900 is a Nokia N900 due to its hardware design; not due to its software design. A Nokia N900 running Android is still a Nokia N900. The popular perception is ofcourse Maemo 5.

It is the hardware which both powers as well as limits the capabilities of the software, and you can work around that till some degree, but you cannot reasonably just put a resistive screen on your capacitive device.

The way I see it: Capacitive is better for finger UI, resistive is better for stylus UI. None is inherently better than the other, it depends on many factors such as weather, size of fingers, size of screen, software/drivers, quality of screen, backwards compatibility, age of person (old farts stuck in old UI paradigms, young kiddos trendy kiddos), the freakin' weather. However, the current market trend and innovation lies in finger touch UI; not anymore in stylus touch UI.

PS: iPhone was just the first smartphone utilizing a good finger touch UI-based platform while certainly having its culprits. It happens to use a capacitive touchscreen. Yet, there are many more products and inventions utilizing a capacitive touchscreen and/or finger touch UI.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-10-19 at 21:39.

* Use another Mini-like car more suitable for your particular modifications.
I think you are entirely misunderstanding me. The n900 is THE "car" most suitable to my needs at this time. I'm not anti-n900 at all, nor anti-Maemo5. Remember, n900 is resistive, so it fits my needs just fine

The n920 on the other hand, well if it's capacitive then so much the better. Choice in the hands of the consumer is a powerful force. If the masses choose capacitive, so be it. I bet it will be pretty cool...

A Nokia N900 is a Nokia N900 due to its hardware design; not due to its software design. A Nokia N900 running Android is still a Nokia N900. The popular perception is ofcourse Maemo 5.

It is the hardware which both powers as well as limits the capabilities of the software, and you can work around that till some degree, but you cannot reasonably just put a resistive screen on your capacitive device.
Again, you are talking like the n900 is capacitive, which it isn't. I'm confused.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ DUBAI , UAE
a three month old news !!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ DUBAI , UAE
Originally Posted by God View Post
um it was posted 1 month ago & I only just saw it now.
Maybe other people didn't see it either & still think they're getting a keyboardless N920.
hmm, i wont be worry about getting the n920 ,they didnt sell THE N900 yet

Originally Posted by God View Post
um it was posted 1 month ago & I only just saw it now.
Maybe other people didn't see it either & still think they're getting a keyboardless N920.
It is photosopped pic from Nokiaport posted in Mobile-review forum first.
And yes the rumour is that the N920 will be keyboard-less N900 and 8mpx camera according to Eldar and Eomer.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
God NO!!! I want a physical keyboard, please!

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by GunnerzMate View Post
God NO!!! I want a physical keyboard, please!
God NO!!! I don't want a physical keyboard. Please give me a version without one!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29