Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Why to put a screen résistif that a captive screen ?

The Following User Says Thank You to tritri360 For This Useful Post:
Y U NO READ thread?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Hi, first of all I really like the idea of making new N900. I hope you will make the best, the most open phone available. Redesigning GTA04 board is very cool idea, I think that hw parameters like the cpu clock are just ok.
I have a few questions:
1) What parts of Neo900 will require closed source firmware/drivers?
2) What about hardware support in projects like QtMoko or SHR? From the activity on the SHR's page looks like it's no longer actively developed, merely "maintained".
3) On the neo900.org site you say "Reliable GSM and GPS shutdown from the software." Does it mean that the GSM modem firmware/drivers are open? How Neo900 hardware/software will respond to malicious, "special" SMSes, that can switch on/off phone's microphone and probably control many others phone's internals? It looks like on average phone the SIM card is like the trojan horse which can control entire phone. Will Neo900 be any different?
4) Are there enough spare parts to build thousands of Neo900s? I know that cases, keyboards, etc. are available, but what about cameras and other stuff? Do you plan to order production of not available parts?
Thanks

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to omicron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by omicron View Post
1) What parts of Neo900 will require closed source firmware/drivers?
3D acceleration will need closed driver. You don't have to use it, 2D and software 3D will work just fine without it. And tThat's the only closed blob that runs on main CPU.

It's not 100% confirmed yet (chosen chipsets may be still changed at this stage), but it's possible that WiFi and/or Bluetooth chip will need some closed firmware to be loaded.

2) What about hardware support in projects like QtMoko or SHR? From the activity on the SHR's page looks like it's no longer actively developed, merely "maintained".
They should work well, cause they already support GTA04. Some basic adjustments will probably have to be made, but I'm going to ensure that SHR works on Neo900 by myself

(in case you don't know, I'm SHR core team member. Yes, recently there wasn't much going on there, but it's not dead)

About QtMoko, I guess Radek Polak will do the adaptation. For details and confirmation you would of course have to ask himself

3) On the neo900.org site you say "Reliable GSM and GPS shutdown from the software." Does it mean that the GSM modem firmware/drivers are open? How Neo900 hardware/software will respond to malicious, "special" SMSes, that can switch on/off phone's microphone and probably control many others phone's internals? It looks like on average phone the SIM card is like the trojan horse which can control entire phone. Will Neo900 be any different?
No, firmware is not open. Yes, drivers are open. Think about the GSM modem as a USB dongle connected to a laptop (it is, in fact, connected to CPU via USB interface) - you don't have full control about what modem is doing, it may respond in some strange way to some SMS, but that's all it can do. It cannot take the control over other parts of the system - it's just a peripheral device.

And on Neo900, just like in Neo1973, Neo Freerunner and GTA04, you'll be able to route any data from microphone in a way where modem won't get it at all, and in fact that's how it's typically configured unless there's call in progress. So even if modem has some hidden backdoor, all it will be able to get from microphone when it should be idle is the silence.

4) Are there enough spare parts to build thousands of Neo900s? I know that cases, keyboards, etc. are available, but what about cameras and other stuff? Do you plan to order production of not available parts?
We're actually expecting sales in hundreds, not thousands, so there should be enough available spare parts on the market for this quantity. But if we somehow reach demand of thousands, I think we'll be able to do some production of missing parts by ourselves (which wouldn't be feasible for smaller runs - but for smaller runs there is enough already there ).

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
It's not 100% confirmed yet (chosen chipsets may be still changed at this stage), but it's possible that WiFi and/or Bluetooth chip will need some closed firmware to be loaded.
The n900 has opensource bleeding edge drivers for it's wifi chipset. This allows monitor mode and injection which is a big selling point for a lot of people.

How difficult would it be to use the same wifi chipset as the n900, instead of Marvell chips? Or is it too early to tell?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
The n900 has opensource bleeding edge drivers for it's wifi chipset. This allows monitor mode and injection which is a big selling point for a lot of people.

How difficult would it be to use the same wifi chipset as the n900, instead of Marvell chips? Or is it too early to tell?
It's not yet decided which WiFi and Bluetooth chips will be used. We're aware that monitor mode and injection support is something that would be appreciated, it will be for sure taken into account while evaluating pros and cons of each choice.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
I originally voted for a price of €300, after reading all 81 pages of this thread, I'd like to raise that to €700. More if the specs could go through the roof.

Is there any way of somehow including the Ubertooth One chipset into the phone? As far as I know it was designed as open source. I'm also another +1 for packet injection compatibility.

Completely off topic, but what would be the per device price if you started the design from scratch (hw & sw) to include all the bells and whistles that have been requested in the thread, assuming the same level of interest as for the Neo900?

Last edited by Scouse; 2013-10-14 at 05:38. Reason: Add hyperlink

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scouse For This Useful Post:
this is very unlikely to be doable but to put it out there:

ability to connect to a satellite phone network

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Is there any way of somehow including the Ubertooth One chipset into the phone?
You will be able to add ubertooth design (possibly slightly adapted) in battery bay to the expansion port. It's too special to make it a common feature of the phone. Same goes btw for rtl2832 SDR. Nothing a mugen cover and the expansion pads couldn't do. Given sufficent demand GolDeliCo might start producing ready made expansion boards to simply "plug in". For the ubertooth this would possibly start at a batch of 50. Other possible suppliers might be http://en.qi-hardware.com/
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
this is very unlikely to be doable but to put it out there:

ability to connect to a satellite phone network
You won't believe it but that's on my list of topics to keep in mind. Actually the planned modem options would create a path which might allow to build your own modem module and go for something like sat-phone as well. At least similar to that motorola(?) "cradle" that converted a normal GSM phone into a sat phone. Don't hold your breath though Nobody is planning anything like that (yet?). But we will support any such hacking as long as it doesn't cost additional hardware in the phone.
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-14 at 10:05.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!