Posts: 84 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Tricase, Lecce (ITA)
This post is a translation of my point of view, posted in Nokioteca Blog

I'd be very happy, if this post would be read by Jay Montano of My Nokia Blog.

Spacial thanks to Pierato of Nokioteca for translating!

Nokia for sale? If Sony was to acquire it I would be happy...

Although Stephen Elop won't lose any occasion to remind that Nokia is not for sale, market rules can be very ruthless, and sometimes it may be necessary to force companies to de bought.

And it's a little bit what Microsoft wants to happen: Nokia to acquire not just because it is offering for sale but to ing possession at the best market conditions when it comes to the point of no longer withstand the competition!

But if one day our beloved Nokia should really go on sale, beyond the possible and potential buyers, from those who would we like to be acquired?

Given the fact that two companies are achieving significant results when they are able to integrate their strategies, I'll try to explain according to my opinion why, among all the companies that could buy Nokia up, Sony should be the best solution that could bring good results in a short time. But let's start from the companies on which the latest rumors are going crazy.

HTC a dwarf on the shoulders of giants
In the network are there circulating rumors that would see HTC very interested in a possible purchase of Nokia. Only a few years ago HTC was unknown to most of the audience, and the few who knew her admired Windows Mobile. The transition to Android has benefited the company who's now very much admired especially by the younger ones. The reason is a mystery to me but given the lack of technological literacy of this group is very likely that HTC has played a lot on the size and deisgn to steal market share to Nokia. If my memory serves me correctly, HTC has been one of the first companies to believe in extra-large sizes from 4 " and more.
Some time ago it was also said that HTC, following in the footsteps of what has been done by Samsung with Bada os, wanted to create his own os. Up to now without the need of going further you should understand that according to me HTC does not have the resources to face with such an acquisition although the stakes are really high: how to compete with Samsung , Motorola and Sony if its goals are so high? Conversely, acquiring Nokia for project and design of better phones HTC could have the best cards to give birth to the Super Smartphone with Android, considering HTC does't suffer for lacks of initiatives.

Samsung and lack of motivation.
If, Meego was created for mutual opportunism (in my opinion), the Korean company is the worst candidate for a possible acquisition of Nokia, as its goal to become the world leader in phones by 2014, is now behind the gates. Not just for its excellence in mobile phones, but, quoting one of Elop's most favourite phrases, for Samsung's strong ecosystem of business behind. They produce everything and mostly Samsung controls and drives two critical areas such as AMOLED display and its Super variation, as well as NAND flash memory chips.
Purchasing Nokia wuold bring just only facade improvements but maybe it could be the right way to stop copying Apple's design and would achieve smartphones wearing most suitable materials!

Microsoft, stubbornness does not pay.
For years, Microsoft's trying to enter the mobile market. A possible purchase porting the replacement of the Windows Phone odd interface with Meego's could allow significant results as early as from release 8. But will Microsoft be able to throw all the money spent on research to create Metro interface? What could investors think of Ballmer, CEO of the company, already nasty to his same employees?
However remember that the Redmond company, as it would be able to buy if Nokia, would take a bad end to the court since the anti-trust, an important organ competition, probably would not see kindly tractive and its bases was the former head of its Office division.

Sony and the designed potential imho.
It's the only company realizing devices with a style, but with a big handicap: painful plastics. And this is already a very good reason to create a simple integrations.
The second good reason depends on the various businesses that the company owns. In particular that of compact cameras, where the Nokia uses Carl Zeiss optics from immemorial time. If we add camera sensors and Bionz chip industry, where Sony has invested a lot if not all, the couple could conceive the Nokia-Sony's best camera-phone of all time, thanks to their knowledge in time in their respective fields. As users we'd gain but nothing else.
Last but not least the core business of the Japanese company: services. The play-station network has an ifinite number of daily users of Q-riocity platform (now you understand why the attack to the PSNetwork was advertised far and wide), not to mention the undoubted and upcoming benefits in terms of gaming with play-station trademark. Securities in exclusive, fantastic gameplay and user-friendly gaming experience. In short terms it would be the achievement of the dream (N-gage) of the old leadership taking place at last!
There was also a fourth reason: while Samsung'd exploit Nokia's know-how to grow both Android and Bada but forgetting Meego, Sony would have two chances instead: to restore the agreement with Intel to bring Harmattan first and Medfield on Android later or to proceed with the development of Meego (together with Intel with no Trojan horses on the path...), developing Qt technology to be used pehhaps as the basis for the next home-console!

Now, vote this poll!

Thanks for reading

what abouy Sony Ericsson?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
what about Sony Ericsson?
DIfference is?

But I dont really see why Sony would even buy Nokia. Nokia isnt really doing great on the market, if you see the amount of Samsung and HTC phones that are being sold. (Only reason is Android of course)
If Sony would buy Nokia I wouldn't be happy though. The only thing Sony tries to do is create product that do not work with other products. If the phone they would create even get a normal (micro)sd slot in it, it would require stupid *** driver's or other software that would only work on Windows. (Look at the PsP's cd thingy)

It's still funny to see how hard Microsoft is trying to get into the phone market and keep failing. They should just drop it together with their xbox360.

Last edited by Wreck; 2011-07-03 at 11:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wreck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
dude stfu, Nokia ain't goin' down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to automagic68 For This Useful Post:
DIfference is?
sony ericsson is a joint venture, fifty fifty.

Those nokia takeover plans are beyond ridiculous. We had this argument before, so I won't start here again.

Originally Posted by Shady 91' View Post
Last but not least the core business of the Japanese company: services.
Funny, I thought it was rootkits, bait-and-switch, suing researchers, spying on their customers and then being criminally negligent with the handling of that data (to the point where the "service" is still banned in their home country).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sony buying Nokia would be a terrible thing. Nokia just needs to fix their ****.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
In a conversation that took place some ten years ago, it became clear that a friend of mine honestly believed that Nokia was a japanese company... He used the name (?!) and the style of the phones at that time as an argument to support his misconception...

Nokia is NOT going to end with a BANG! but rather a whimper when it will be one of the top ten sellers but not in the top three of the public's mindshare (Apple, HTC, Samsung, followers).

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Funny thing is that only 15 some years ago Ericsson almost purchased Nokia. Instead Nokia became big and Ericsson became a part of Sony.

Sony purchasing Nokia wouldn't be such a bad thing, it could be very good for several reasons, but it will never happen.

What could happen is that ZTE or Huawei purchased Nokias low end branch or they agreed in some kind of venture. Nokia would be reduced to high end and R&D and IP. Nokia-Microsoft could also be one entity. But all this is unlikely also because Nokia is far from dead.

What will happen is that Nokia will continue a bit of slimming. WP will eventually come, rewamped S40 will come and Nokia is happy, but with Samsung at the top.