Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
When do we expect official news from Jolla? There's so much rumors ATM, I decided to ignore it all and wait for the next official preff release or such.

Any ideas when that could be?
there is an hackevent with jolla+devamo 8sep if i remember right?, lets hope they give small updates in some way

and then if all goes well there will be Qt 5 release in november and hopeffully some more info from jolla there too.

but i doubt we will see any announcement this year but in the meantime we can play with nemo/mer on n9xx

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
By the way in case anyone missed it QT5 beta was released a couple days ago.
Since Jolla encourages us to use and contribute to Nemo I think this guy's post in the Nemo thread is worth bringing up here as the link he gives is about Nemo guys discussing with pictures how to design the UI to make it better than swype or anything else out there.

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-09-04 at 05:43.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by don.edri View Post
Reading through this thread, and seeing some outcries about Jolla being vaporware company I think some people do not realize how much time does it take to design & manufacture a device + code a decent UI for it. Give them time, dammit!
If they manage to show us something good or even release a product before x-mass I'd call it a great achievement. Also, I'd rather wait to see something polished and thought-through rather than some rushed product, to satisfy impatient part of the market...
And agreeing with benny1967 - let's wait for some official news.
While you might be right, it doesn't instill confidence to build up your reputation and then make people talk about it for an extended period of time without seeing trickle of evidence or a release. It DOES start to resemble many similarly failed, shady or vaporous things along these lines in the past and I think it can be understood why people are beginning to think this way, even if you're right--which you might very well be.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Yeah, lot's of domains are taken. Something like mobilitylibre.org is available, but it's not as catching as opendevices.org
I'm to understand that InternetTabletTalk.com is still owned by this forum?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Samsung dominated last week, nokia this week, and Apple next week...After that is all jolla.

JOOOOOOOOLLLLAAAAA...TROOOOOLLLAAAA

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm to understand that InternetTabletTalk.com is still owned by this forum?
sometime google links still point to InternetTabletTalk.com addresses, event for recent subjects, so I guess the domain is still nokia's or something close.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
internettablettalk.com is re-routed to tmo so its still nokia's property...

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Jolla, Made in Finland eventually?: http://suomenkuvalehti.fi/jutut/talo...npanon-salossa (sorry, in Finnish).

Short summary: Jolla thinks about assembling phones in Nokia's old factory in Salo. First phone will be assembled in China by some OEM but it is possible that they would also have production in Salo later.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki
Finnish newspaper has interviewed Jollas CEO Jussi Hurmola, and they write that first Jolla phone is intended to come to markets this autumn.

Article here in Finnish:
http://suomenkuvalehti.fi/jutut/talo...npanon-salossa

Last edited by Naughty; 2012-09-07 at 10:48. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Jolla, Made in Finland eventually?: http://suomenkuvalehti.fi/jutut/talo...npanon-salossa (sorry, in Finnish).

Short summary: Jolla thinks about assembling phones in Nokia's old factory in Salo. First phone will be assembled in China by some OEM but it is possible that they would also have production in Salo later.
I read the longer print version earlier today. Its mostly article about new finnish high-tech startups and how they are building their business. Jolla was the one they chose for the cover and started the article with.

Only new tidbit was the possibility of making phones in the future in Salo. I got the impression that there were no current plans. Something along the lines of "If we are succesfull, then we'll grow and start manufacturing in Europe as well". He also said that manufacturing stuff in Europe would be good for marketing/corporate image.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Has anyone made a list of what they'd expect from a Jolla phone feature-wise? Being based on GNU/Linux is nice, but it could still repeat all the mistakes other systems make at the moment... and be yet another boring clone.

I thought about my current usage patterns and guess I'd expect (as many as possible out of):
  • file exchange (both directions) via USB
  • file exchange (both directions) via bluetooth
  • FM radio TX/RX
  • SD card slot
  • standard compliant UMTS features such as MMS and 3G video calls
  • built-in syncML support
  • framework for instant messaging that can be extended by third party applications (like N900)
  • framework for file sharing that can be extended by 3rd party applikations (like N900)
  • multitasking without restrictions
  • home screens with widgets, like symbian/maemo
  • hardware keyboard
  • self-contained, no dependency on any specific cloud service or PC software (like itunes or zune)
  • free software can be deployed in various stages (like -dev, -testing)

Other things that people think are necessary?

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla