Notices

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
This is how i do it on my n810

I stream the video using some command line stuff (I found on the WiKi) to VLC on my computer. Then, I use a "capture desktop to webcam" program to capture the streaming video and convert it to a webcam. Probably better ways to do this, but...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
This is how i do it on my n810

I stream the video using some command line stuff (I found on the WiKi) to VLC on my computer. Then, I use a "capture desktop to webcam" program to capture the streaming video and convert it to a webcam. Probably better ways to do this, but...
I think we should be able to replace the "capture desktop to webcam" program with a program, that has the VLC-core built in and takes directly the video-stream-data (instead of filming the desktop) for using in messenger programs. Then write a little front-end for the command-line stuff...

This is how I do do it on my N810. I open up gizmo buzz my family overseas on their PC and turn on the front facing cam on my NIT, and use it either at home over wifi or work on tethered 3g. We can see and talk just like a webcam on my laptop. It is easy for the other party to install Gizmo and best yet it's free.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
This is how I do do it on my N810. I open up gizmo buzz my family overseas on their PC and turn on the front facing cam on my NIT, and use it either at home over wifi or work on tethered 3g. We can see and talk just like a webcam on my laptop. It is easy for the other party to install Gizmo and best yet it's free.
Sorry, but I think you don't understand what I'm asking for.
I would like to have a program like the "mobiola webcam" program for my e71.
This program turns my mobile phone into a very high quality webcam.
It connects the mobile to the PC and acts like a normal webcam, but because it's connected through wlan you can walk around with your mobile (often I'm sitting in my garden, the n810 connected via rdesktop, the e71 connected via mobiola-webcam, and a wireless headphone.).

I don't want to do video-chat directly on my n900 (sure, I want, but that is not the intention of my initial post), but I want to stream the video-data from my n900 to my PC to use it as my webcam-source.

I hope this will clarify everything a little bit.

Ohh okay got it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
I understand the concept and can see some merit in wanting this to be a simple all-inclusive app. I'm not a big webcam guy so maybe it'd be kool for awhile if nothing else. And yet over time many of us will likely find other ways to make use of an app like this.

What I wonder is who'll build the head mounted rig to cradle the N900 so it hovers over and in front of you so you don't have to hold it up in the air all the time when walking?

Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
What I wonder is who'll build the head mounted rig to cradle the N900 so it hovers over and in front of you so you don't have to hold it up in the air all the time when walking?
Look, what I've "build" to hold me e71 as a normal webcam:
http://picasaweb.google.de/zehjotkah...eat=directlink

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Here's a program that I ran across a while back. It will stream video from the N8x0 camera to a webpage. You can access that webpage from any other computer on the network (or outside the network if you know how to set it up). It works as a motion detecting camera or just streaming and can save the video as well.

Might be a good starting point for someone.

gstmjpg

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I also use mobiola webcam on my E90, also mobiola headset thingy too... i dont have to worry about a webcam being installed at the computers I use for MSN and can use the phone as a headset too.. pretty decent for a software that works over USB,BT,WLAN too, should be a great app for N900 as well..

The Following User Says Thank You to nashith For This Useful Post:
waiting for this program to magically appear to download...