Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
That damn tablet. It's so hot right now. It totally destroyed my expectations for delivery of a Jolla phone before Dec 2015.

Now I have to forget jolla for a year.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-20 at 23:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Remember, folks: startup company. High prices from lack of cost reduction from mass production ("conjunction junction, what's your function") is always a caveat with these kinds of companies. I'm sure no one on here needs me to tell them that though.

Yeah, lack of hi-rez screen blows, but from what I've seen, that's probably the one big issue. I don't see the problem with the processing power, especially when the OS is as open as it is. What, you wanna play games on the phone? Hope you enjoy touch controls *shudders*.

Anyway, what do I, as an outsider to the Jolla world, expect from the Jolla 2? Well, I hope for TOH compatibility with the Jolla 1. Sailfish will be going through its own refinements over the years, so I don't really expect the specs to change too much (slightly more clock speed, more RAM, slightly beefier GPU at minimum).

Now, if they get all open drivers (with exception to the modem+WiFi), true OpenGL and native Wayland (and mature their in-house compositor) poppin' off on the Jolla 2, in addition to not giving us 'Muricans twelve middle fingers again, then I honestly couldn't care if the Jolla 2 ran on two potatoes and a hamster wheel. That would be my one-way ticket for the Hype Express on the way to Hype City for a two-week vacation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
After following dirks progress and updates with, video, images and text... I'm expecting that jolla can come up with some cool way to communicate the project in a simular manner for jPll. If one man can do it, why not a small company that wants to be unlike...mind blowing...hire a student that can handle the blog...

Jolla The Second Phone - The mighty development story!
Ones upon a time...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-12-01 at 22:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Love when jolla follow My lead

I give you: https://blog.jolla.com

Let the story begin...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
tablet may-june...I dont ecpect a new jPhone until december and the holidays 2015. however I do expect a bigger screen...

is a real qwety slider out of the equation ...?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I dont ecpect a new ****** until december and the holidays 2015. however I do expect a bigger screen...
Yes, we know, Dave. But looking at your screen size poll, most of os clearly prefer 4 or 4.5".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
About Jolla 2 expectations:

something TOH-compatible (people are creating great TOHs);
something minimalistic (so that it would be bought in large quantities by people wanting to use TOHs, not for great specs of phone itself) and unlike.

I would say:
One great camera, without secondary small-ish camera;
Front screen is black-and-white e-ink, comfortable for both reading and typing on TOHKBD;
If people want power-eating screen, they snap on TOH-screen (with hole for one great camera), would allow great video-chatting, too.

If they were really daring, they would make a device without a screen, with two great cameras (one front, one back), capable of having two TOHs attached at once (one front, one back). That would be customizable to extent of ... "I cannot criticise their choice because it puts choice into hands of others - users and TOH manufacturers"

Best wishes. Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

My friend, after hearing the idea "no display - two TOHs instead", suggests to go 'constructor' all the way.

For example: WiFi not soldered onto the board, but USB-plugged-in; doing the same with cellular modem would be bulkier, for some reason (USB cellular modems tend to be too long, in my view; antenna, maybe?), but should be possible (nano-SIMs exist for a reason).

Easy to take out microphone and speakers (it's probably over-doing it, imho, but still, easy replace-ability would help).

From outside, it should still look the same: a phone. The USB ports shall be sunk deep into the device, so that the WiFi-cellular would not dangerously protrude to outside, but would be barely noticeable.

Best wishes. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...

My friend, after hearing the idea "no display - two TOHs instead", suggests to go 'constructor' all the way.

For example: WiFi not soldered onto the board, but USB-plugged-in; doing the same with cellular modem would be bulkier, for some reason (USB cellular modems tend to be too long, in my view; antenna, maybe?), but should be possible (nano-SIMs exist for a reason).

Easy to take out microphone and speakers (it's probably over-doing it, imho, but still, easy replace-ability would help).

From outside, it should still look the same: a phone. The USB ports shall be sunk deep into the device, so that the WiFi-cellular would not dangerously protrude to outside, but would be barely noticeable.

Best wishes. Thank you.
So, basically project Ara?

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
So, basically project Ara?
Would be useful for Jolla? Means they can create a flagship incrementally with far lower cost, while also keeping lower specced as necessary to keep costs down for the low-end.

The Following User Says Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2