Active Topics

As a bonus, any work on this by Jolla should therefore benefit existing any existing tablet owners if the components are the same. Any paid work sent Jolla's way to work on this should mean the existing tablets continue to be maintained for a longer period of time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Actually this is not a bad idea. Every assemble line has a minimum quantity, normally about 3k to 5k as an absolute minimum. Since I don't have a solid PO or deposit, using pre-order funds to order components and assembling line is the best option.

Instead of setting up a pre-order account from stratch, why not using Indiegogo again? At least it has some security and a credibility in general. Thanks for the advice.
No problem. Set it up.
How much do you estimate jolla will be stealing in licenses cost? Anyway to put sailfish on the device without paying jolla? Maybe they could give that to you for trying to do what jolla couldn't manage?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Gee, it's nice to have but a bit dated spec wise. I think I would prefer a Jolla Tablet Kit. One you have to assemble but is a finished product in the end. Has removable battery and can replace parts, perhaps upgrade them. This would be fun!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Will you ship to USA? If so, I'm interested.
Thank you! Yes covering USA is very important. The best of WiFi only tablet is no need to worry on the bands, and can easily cover NA.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If this is true, I'll purchase one just to show support. I'd love to see USB-C as a connector instead of the micro-USB - it does get a bit wobbly after prolonged use.
Although changing from Micro USB to type C is a minor change on PCB, but this will involve a moulding cost as the hole for the port is changed. And perhaps all the previous tests and certs has to be changed again. But anyway I will look in to this option. What I can guarantee is we look into the wobby connector see if there is any room of improvement.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
As a bonus, any work on this by Jolla should therefore benefit existing any existing tablet owners if the components are the same. Any paid work sent Jolla's way to work on this should mean the existing tablets continue to be maintained for a longer period of time.
Yes! I don't see anything conflict here. The software work should be compatible with previous models. (Unless component changed, which is not planned.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Holly cow, this is the best news of the year so far! (Living in the UK, I need good new like salt, especially this week.)

I did not take part in the first tablet campaign as I had no need for a tablet and considered it an unnecessary distraction from what Jolla should be doing. That situation has not changed and I am not in a position finantially to buy something I do not need but I would like to support your effort. When you set up a crowdfunding page, please add a postcard option. I can invest a couple dozen GBP.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds? I thought that the problem with producing more units was that after their death valley delay certain components weren't available any more and re-tooling everything was going to be too expensive. But now the components all are available again? Any light to shed here? Maybe Jolla just completely ran out of money and goodwill and couldn't pre-pay for more units - and asking backers for a temporary loan would have been a bit too far - Dave999 might have exploded at the sheer scam-tastic-ness of it all.

Also, I second the postcard option above from pichlo - for exactly the same reasons. Though I do like buying hardware I don't need... *strokes chin*

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds? I thought that the problem with producing more units was that after their death valley delay certain components weren't available any more and re-tooling everything was going to be too expensive. But now the components all are available again? Any light to shed here? Maybe Jolla just completely ran out of money and goodwill and couldn't pre-pay for more units - and asking backers for a temporary loan would have been a bit too far - Dave999 might have exploded at the sheer scam-tastic-ness of it all.

Also, I second the postcard option above from pichlo - for exactly the same reasons. Though I do like buying hardware I don't need... *strokes chin*
I dont explode over trivial things like a tiny compony like jolla, a tablet scam or a few hundred bucks. I make fun of it.

But I posted pretty much the same before. An apperently jolla could have Done it. But if this is true. They choose not to do it.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds?
Rumor and my personal conspiracy theory is that the single investor that pulled out right before paying the tablet production was really unhappy with the whole "Jolla doing HW" situation and put the pistol to theyr chest to force the reorintation into SW company.
A kind of "You stop that deficitiv and amateurish HW business NOW, i continue to support you" deal.

Recent news in this thread kind of confirms this imho.
They would have been able to order or produce more, so what held them back? Politics.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-04-01 at 20:05. Reason: refomulation

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Virginia
I guess the only thing I'm confused about is why didn't Jolla do this themselves rather than issue refunds?
Perhaps they didn't want to. Considering the humiliation they suffered, the fact that the tablet was no longer competitive spec-wise, and that they decided they were a software platform company, what would have been the point, except to shut up dave666

I don't want to say this was a stupid question but I am thinking it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robissimo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os