Active Topics

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Good folks there is one aspect. In case if nokia drops down, microsoft will lose ability in mobile forever. Forever. Then disgrace.
So i think Ahonen forget about someone who supports and protects Nokia in all WP dramas.
And Amazingly, why, why M$ put on Nokia not Sammy. Balmer must think about it. Ha-ha-ha.

Reported that shares were down 17% at the beggining of the week and set to fall further.
The writing is on the wall, IMO, and Elop insits on throwing money at his WP7 strategy.
They need to fall back to Maemo/MeeGo, f*ck Android right off the scale. Going with that would be going from 1 "ecosystem/prison" to another. Google's future plans are to become more closed, integrated to the point that if you want to use Google anything you gotta use Google everything. I love the freedom that Maemo & MeeGo offer, none of this "If you want to do that you gotta use this", "It's my party and noone else is invited".

If Nokia don't do something other than throw money down the WP7 drain they're gonna need a miracle and at present they're at the back of a very...very long queue.

Why couldn't Nokia manufacture all of WP7, Android and MeeGo phones like every other sensible manufacturer? What was the sense in making an exclusivity arrangement with Microsoft?

What good will the one time payment from MS go to, if Nokia continues to make an operating loss of this magnitude.

From day 1, the live tile interface and the overall Metro UI has seemed extremely unlike Nokia.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I too say screw android. They might as well continue with WP. We wanted Nokia to offer a reliable alternative not become MS or googles whore(even though I would understand moving towards the second). But what is scary is that even now there are no articles with "rumors of Elop chair being unsafe" or "Nokia rethinking their strategy" I mean after this colossal failure and it;s been more than a year now there should have been someone at the board thinking about throwing failop out of the window and leaking some info to the press. But there's nothing which makes me think that they either have accepted that their going down or they know that even of they go down MS will come and buy them.

i d'nt understand why you (some) hate androids and praise Maemo/meego ? coz maemo/meego is Linux ? android is only using Linux kernel ? or Android is not supported by Nokia ?? Please tell i want to Know.. whats the reason, why you cant see the Androids success even google watch every movement of us by android. as i think its only HD Games and better UI then Symbian, coz all apps are Symbian related before android. how much N900 successful ? You can say its successful but it was not. if it was then Nokia never left it behind. i never used a Android(Used Nitdroid on N900) iOS, BB, Java,WP Phone. first was symbian and now maemo. and seriously thinking about Android with HW keyboard.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
seeing some of the presenters at this conference, I think I will be getting into the Tizen thing. thp, the maliit guy, etc etc. As long as there is some control of device under the html5 top layer, I'm in. Admittedly I haven't researched it yet.

Presumably some of the maemo brain drain has gone to either intel meego or samsung tizen as well
Well, I did look in Tizen. And I didn't like it a single bit. Using HTML for GUI's is just plain stupid. They're trying to polish a turd.

Originally Posted by Gky007 View Post
i d'nt understand why you (some) hate androids and praise Maemo/meego
"hate" android? Nah. But there are things I don't like:
  • It's controlled by Google, an advertising company. This is very dubious from a privacy-standpoint. Also, while Android is open source, it's not really open development. Qt and Java are much more open. (Yes, Google claims Android is not theirs anymore, but they've given it the OHA. Which they dominate.)
  • Java rip-off. While Android is Java-based, it's not per se compatible with the many, many libraries available for JavaSE. Also, they used another VM which can't run normal Java binaries. While the Dalvik VM is arguably somewhat more efficient than the JVM, it lacked a JIT-compiler until not so long ago (thus it was very slow). Also, given the current multi-core, multi-GiB smartphones the lesser efficiency of the "old" JVM is of no concern.
  • Mediocre multitasking. Most of the time I just have to guess whether an application is still running in the background or not. Apps are deactivated "automatically". On the N9/Meego it's simple: if you haven't closed an app, it's still active. And closing apps is *really* simple. Still, Android beats WP and iOS, which truly regard the users as idiots when it comes to multitasking.
  • And finally, while it is Linux-based, Android lacks common features which most other Linux-based systems, like Harmattan, do have.

Granted, the DalvikVM, the stripped-down Java and Linux-environment probably were necessary to make Android work on the limited hardware of the first smartphones (slow CPU, little RAM and Flash) but currently these factors really are of no concern. Android-devices would be very capable of running full desktop-versions of Linux and full JavaSE. (In fact, JavaSE 7 runs fine on an unmodified N9)

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Well, I did look in Tizen. And I didn't like it a single bit. Using HTML for GUI's is just plain stupid. They're trying to polish a turd.

"hate" android? Nah. But there are things I don't like:
  • It's controlled by Google, an advertising company. This is very dubious from a privacy-standpoint. Also, while Android is open source, it's not really open development. Qt and Java are much more open. (Yes, Google claims Android is not theirs anymore, but they've given it the OHA. Which they dominate.)
  • Java rip-off. While Android is Java-based, it's not per se compatible with the many, many libraries available for JavaSE. Also, they used another VM which can't run normal Java binaries. While the Dalvik VM is arguably somewhat more efficient than the JVM, it lacked a JIT-compiler until not so long ago (thus it was very slow). Also, given the current multi-core, multi-GiB smartphones the lesser efficiency of the "old" JVM is of no concern.
  • Mediocre multitasking. Most of the time I just have to guess whether an application is still running in the background or not. Apps are deactivated "automatically". On the N9/Meego it's simple: if you haven't closed an app, it's still active. And closing apps is *really* simple. Still, Android beats WP and iOS, which truly regard the users as idiots when it comes to multitasking.
  • And finally, while it is Linux-based, Android lacks common features which most other Linux-based systems, like Harmattan, do have.

Granted, the DalvikVM, the stripped-down Java and Linux-environment probably were necessary to make Android work on the limited hardware of the first smartphones (slow CPU, little RAM and Flash) but currently these factors really are of no concern. Android-devices would be very capable of running full desktop-versions of Linux and full JavaSE. (In fact, JavaSE 7 runs fine on an unmodified N9)

ok i agree its lacks Java and Multitasking but why its gatting hotter day by day ?? How much Developers in World ?? and How much Population ?? Products are prepared for Mass Users not only for Developers.. and here we only sees things according to US(i am not Developer, even d'nt know what/who is developers). The Blog discussed above clearly mentioned why Nokia Sinking and that is Elop and MS. i think we should hate Elop and MS not android.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I fully 100% agree with this blogs analysis.

Somebody please remove this very destructive man from the picture! Please?????!!!!
SOMEBODY PLEASE! He is destroying the company and destroying Finlands income and destroying jobs, he is just destructive. Please someone remove this person NOW ANd reverse his OS decisions.
That article also made a very interesting point too, "Hire a CEO who has a background in the carrier industry". Someone who has a greater relationship with the Carrier companies than even Nokia has/had, someone who can put the carriers confidence back into Nokia.

I really do not know what is being said behind Nokias closed doors but should the conversation of who will be their next CEO, then I do hope they consider this.

The weird thing is that nokia refuses to talk about meltemi and the future of linux and Qt at nokia. This is their plan B or at least additional business model. They will need as many developers as possible and should offer Qt mobile devs a perspective. All we hear is Qt for the next billion blah blah, without any timetable or other info.

Android is only successful because it's "GIVEN AWAY" to handset manufacturers and we all know how the majority of manufacturers want something for nothing, (evident by the number of patent lawsuits flying around). And given that Google is not in the top ten list for trustworthyness, granted not a lot of companies are. Nokia have made a few dodgy moves in the past, but they haven't been on the same scale as Google, MS, Yahoo etc etc etc.
Then you've got your networks, who have been allowed to put whatever hacks, custom software and heavy restrictions into the OS, which range from heavy ad based browsing to the downright unscrupulously hidden eavesdropping hacks that phone home on a regular basis. Apple, Blackberry and Google devices were all found to contain some sort of data gathering hacks (installed by the manufacturers or network providers) that went way further than just looking to see what apps you installed. As far as I am aware, myself, I haven't heard anything to suggest Nokia did the same.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun