Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Such unnecessary PoC...
"Proof of Concept"?

Yeah, I'll go with that!

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"Proof of Concept"?
Yeah, I'll go with that!
Actually you're right about that; as Company-Internal-Slang we use PoC to mean Proof-Of-Concept. And I have partaked in quite a few PoC projects in recent years.

That's why I found it quite hilarious what the abbreviation stands for in the interwebz...
(and to be frank, PoC is not always far from what we are doing )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Here's another idea to fight spam. How about blocking new threads with bad grammar in the title? Spam threads I've seen here do not start with a capital letter.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Here's another idea to fight spam. How about blocking new threads with bad grammar in the title? Spam threads I've seen here do not start with a capital letter.
Some have had initial caps. And if we disallow improper grammar, heck... I'd be banned in an instant when I'm not being careful myself.

Not all of the members here are native English speakers, so what's considered "good" grammar might make others cringe.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
How would you determine bad grammar? Which grammar? Are non-native English speakers not allowed? (Actually, non-native speakers are probably better than native speakers, but anyway.) There's a thread on the first page of the SailfishOS subforum which doesn't start with a capital letter ("libhybris ..."). On the second page there's a thread with a title which definitely looks like completely random spam ("'pageStack.push(Qt.resolvedUrl())"). It can't work.

(Besides, grammar by its very definition, being exclusively descriptive, can never be bad.)

(Additionally, capitalisation is part of orthography, not grammar.)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Some have had initial caps. And if we disallow improper grammar, heck... I'd be banned in an instant when I'm not being careful myself.

Not all of the members here are native English speakers, so what's considered "good" grammar might make others cringe.
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
How would you determine bad grammar? Which grammar? Are non-native English speakers not allowed? (Actually, non-native speakers are probably better than native speakers, but anyway.)
It really depends how strict you make the filter. If it's only going check for capitalisation on the first character that's also a letter, it shouldn't pose too much of problem. I was thinking that on the creation of new threads, it might display a message to indicate why it was rejected so that the poster could correct it. This would hopefully reduce the amount of spam from bots, at least for a while.

There's a thread on the first page of the SailfishOS subforum which doesn't start with a capital letter ("libhybris ..."). On the second page there's a thread with a title which definitely looks like completely random spam ("'pageStack.push(Qt.resolvedUrl())"). It can't work.

(Besides, grammar by its very definition, being exclusively descriptive, can never be bad.)
Many filtering tasks, not just spam filtering, yield false positives or false negatives. There is no solution that can work 100%. Library and function names would of course cause a problem however it can be overcome by rephrasing the sentence to use a word that can start with a capital letter. Whilst technically incorrect, the library or function name could also be capitalised. I'm not a big fan of the latter but it's not unknown. Wikipedia does this with article names.

(Additionally, capitalisation is part of orthography, not grammar.)
Orthography is the conventional spelling system of a language. Grammar refers to the whole system and structure of a language. It's debatable but my view is that capitalisation falls better under the definition of grammar.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2016-11-09 at 18:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I have an issue with that view. Grammar is prescriptive, not descriptive. In many languages (not English, though), so is vocabulary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait... are we having a semantic argument over grammar in a thread about spammers?

Did that... just happen?

I'm only joking.

I'm quite sure collectively we could come up with something. But then again, as Chemist had stated, even Google and WordPress is being inundated with this crap. Perhaps we could come up with a solution for all?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Here is, presumably, a easy way to get rid of most of these annoying posts.

Do not allow the following sequence of letters in the first post (i.e. do not allow links).

http
/
:/

I know that above is redundant. Just pick or come up with whatever works best. If the above appears in the post just not allow it and report to author in the same way the post does not have enough characters. Just say you do not allow those sequence of letters in first post.

Last edited by mscion; 2016-11-10 at 14:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
If the posts are generated by trained monkeys rather than bots, that may not have the desired effect. It may just prompt them to post one, two or n dummy posts first before posting one with a link. Still worth trying IMO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
literally, modsellingusoff, qwerty21, timetoforkoff?