I've search but can't find much. Does the N900 have an internal battery for time / settings functionality like on a pc?

My e65 doesn't, but a few of my friends phones do.

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
As far as I know, most, if not all, modern phones have a small battery internally to maintain date/time/settings (similar to how PCs have a cmos battery to keep BIOS and time settings). Otherwise, every time you take out the battery or when your battery drains completely, the time/date (and possibly settings if it isn't saved onto memory) are wiped.

The Following User Says Thank You to unkno For This Useful Post:
More likely to have a capacitor to store the time on battery changes, though I'm not an expert.

Certainly there's no way to change any purported backup battery, which makes me think there is probably not one.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
on my htc wizard, there probably is a backup battery - however now, after a few years of phone's life, it's depleted (either that, or the capacitor went dead somehow) and each time the battery is taken out, clock is reset to factory original value.. quite annoying - the capacitor would be much more useful, if it lasted a hours, that is...

The Following User Says Thank You to andree For This Useful Post:
Yeah it is annoying. My E65 never had one, pain if you have multiple batteries

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Some do, some don't: my wife's old 7610 didn't.

There's an easy way to find out: pop out the battery out of an n900, leave it 30s and put it back - if the clock's accurate it has at least a capacitor.
That of course, if you can live with your new and shiny n900 off for 30 secs.

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
yeah id love to know this, and will be one of the first tests i do, as my Axim resets every time i change a battery and its a real pain.
I really am not worried about bettery life if you can change battery without issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to cgarvie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by horus View Post
Does the N900 have an internal battery for time / settings functionality like on a pc?
The N900 has a button cell battery. See the second photo on the first page (PDF link) near the top center.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The N900 has a button cell battery. See the second photo on the first page (PDF link) near the top center.
Thanks. Obviously not user-changeable, so it will eventually die, but hopefully not for a few years yet.

Also note that the N900 can automatically update its clock from the network, presumably via NTP. Everything else is stored in flash memory that doesn't need a battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Also note that the N900 can automatically update its clock from the network, presumably via NTP.
With out-of-the-box software, the N900 can automatically set its clock via information from the cell provider, like most (all?) phones. Network time protocol daemon (ntpd) is separate download from Extras/Extras-testing (I haven't checked which), but should be an easy one. It was always install-and-go on previous Maemo devices, and I don't expect that's changed with Maemo 5.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-11-19 at 15:10. Reason: initially left out a needed definite article

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: