Posts: 48 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ France
Hello,

Are SIM card apps (maybe there is another name for that) supported on Nokia N900 / Maemo 5?
For example, I was not able to connect to the network anymore with my Lycamobile Germany SIM card, it displayed "SIM card
registration failed" at boot time even after switching between automatic and manual mode in the Nokia N900 settings (when I selected a network manually, it displayed "Access denied").

When I contacted the support of the mobile network operator, they said I have to select the manual mode and then "National" or "Germany" in "Lycamobile Services" in the main menu and then select "Lycamobile" or "Vodafone" as manual network in my smartphone settings and restart the handset.
On the Nokia N900, "Lycamobile Services" was not displayed in the apps even after restarting the phone. However on my Jolla smartphone, it was displayed and I was able to fix the network issue. Now it works on the Nokia N900 too but I needed to use another smartphone to unlock the network.

Are SIM card apps supported on the Nokia N900 also? How can we access them?
Otherwise, is there a workaround to unlock the network without using the SIM card app?

Thanks.

Last edited by baptx; 2020-09-30 at 19:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baptx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Short: No.

A bit longer: STK, SIM Tool Kit, applications are not supported on N900.
So no chance.

But maybe the card stores this configuration and after having it configured on the Jolla you are able to use it in N900?
I never had one of those cards.

How are you supposed to use it in an older 'dumb' phone?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
How are you supposed to use it in an older 'dumb' phone?
Some dumb phone have this functionality.
See my post from 2014 where a Nokia Asha had it : https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...75&postcount=5

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Yes, the configuration seems to be saved in the memory of the SIM card since I was then able to connect to the network on Nokia N900. Or the configuration could be done on the network level (saved by the mobile network operator) but I think it is less likely.
Maybe with a SIM card reader and a good software, it is possible to configure the settings from a computer (but this would not be convenient when you are not at home or not with a laptop on you).
If "dumb" / feature phone don't have this functionality, it could be a problem indeed like for Nokia N900.

Last edited by baptx; 2020-09-30 at 20:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to baptx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by baptx View Post
Yes, the configuration seems to be saved in the memory of the SIM card since I was then able to connect to the network on Nokia N900. Or the configuration could be done on the network level (saved by the mobile network operator) but I think it is less likely.
And I think this is exactly what happened: stored/activated on network level.

Maybe with a SIM card reader and a good software, it is possible to configure the settings from a computer (but this would not be convenient when you are not at home or not with a laptop on you).
If "dumb" / feature phone don't have this functionality, it could be a problem indeed like for Nokia N900.
Yes, maybe.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@Malakai with which mobile network operator and home country did you have the issue? You can add it to this list if it is not already present: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_...cation_Toolkit

@baptx
Already present in the list

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
This was also an issue for using dual SIM adapters which had to be switched to a dialed * or # code mode from STK switching mode but another phone was required which had access to the SIM Tool Kit to switch modes.
If a SIM tool kit has not been developed at this point from back when there were moderately loud calls by a real army of everyday users, and I am not sure the hardware is able to even support it, I doubt it will ever happen in the sunset years of the N900.

Though to be fair at the end of life of the Sharp Zaurus SL5500 a FOSS driver was written for the SD card reader so a complete stack of FOSS drivers made it eligible to be included in the Angstrom OS supported devices list, there were more SL-5500s produced and in circulation worldwide than any other Linux Zaurus PDA. I feel like the SD card driver was an easier job than writing a STK where NDA only encryption libs probably play a role.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
Today I have a new requirement to access a customer's VPN with Swisscom Mobile ID and I discover "SIM application toolkit" and that N900 has no support for it.

According to my investigations and understanding, STK support consists in AT modem commands with some UI features.

With hope I may port MeeGo code: https://github.com/meego-tablet-ux/meego-app-satk

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ymartin59 For This Useful Post:
@ymartin59 did you have any success porting meego-app-satk? So if I understand correctly, it is not a hardware but software limitation in N900?
I was not able to connect to network again and had to use my SIM card in another phone to select "Roaming" in "Lycamobile Services".

Last edited by baptx; 2021-03-26 at 13:46.