Active Topics

Tried

Code:
grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1| tail -1 > /home/user/MyDocs/old_lockcode
but the file made was completely empty, no 'root::' or anything like that. Is the code wrong in some way (should there be a space after 'mtd1|'?)

And by 'playing with -A 50 or -B 50', you mean trying the following codes?

Code:
grep -A 50 lock_code /dev/mtd1| tail -1 > /home/user/MyDocs/old_lockcode
Code:
grep -B 50 lock_code /dev/mtd1| tail -1 > /home/user/MyDocs/old_lockcode
Sorry, not really a Maemo/Linux expert

Aaah... starting to become desperate.

Anyone can help?

what you posted in #5 looks rather confusing.
afaiu and what i see, there should be only one occurence of lock_code, not two. and if i read that output correctly, there's a new line at the end.

thus, tail -1 would produce an empty string.

i guess, the really interesting part would be those diamonds with ? in them, instead of tail -1 you may try tail -4 | head -1 to get exactly that line.

at least, it looks like flashing the rootfs will reset the code, thus with your issues and that output, i'd guess, something went wrong while flashing.

Code:
grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1| tail -4 | head -1 > /home/user/MyDocs/old_lockcode
The resulting file contains

Code:
...and that's it.

Should I reflash or are there any other commands I could try first?

(and if it matters, I flashed the Global fw version)

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
is this the lock in

settings > top menu > enter lock code to remove operator lock

as ive never set this and 12345 doesnt work for me

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Well I just reflashed my N900 to the Global fw (again) and... the echo command still gives

Code:
root::
Nokia Care it is I guess (is this an indication of a corrupted fw?). Unless I have to flash the eMMC along with the firmware?

@f2thak If your n900 has an operator lock then ring up your operator and ask for the unlock code. We're talking about the device code found in Settings > General > Device Lock.

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
what you posted in #5 looks rather confusing.
afaiu and what i see, there should be only one occurence of lock_code, not two. and if i read that output correctly, there's a new line at the end.

thus, tail -1 would produce an empty string.

i guess, the really interesting part would be those diamonds with ? in them, instead of tail -1 you may try tail -4 | head -1 to get exactly that line.

at least, it looks like flashing the rootfs will reset the code, thus with your issues and that output, i'd guess, something went wrong while flashing.
I thought that the lock code was one of the very few things to 'survive' a complete reflash?

Originally Posted by yamanote View Post
I thought that the lock code was one of the very few things to 'survive' a complete reflash?
i doubt it -- after all, it has to stored somewhere and as far as i understood the flashing and the layout, flashing rootfs and emmc(?) will effectively replace _all_ content with the default data from the images.

as said before, your results of the grep oneliner are rather confusing and to me (w/o any deeper knowledge) it looks like there's something wrong with your /dev/mtd1.

as for the '*' as result of
grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1| tail -4 | head -1
try playing around with the values given to head and tail (4 and 1) -- it does only read, so no risk. my guess is, that the diamond shaped symbols are the string you are looking for.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
i doubt it -- after all, it has to stored somewhere and as far as i understood the flashing and the layout, flashing rootfs and emmc(?) will effectively replace _all_ content with the default data from the images.
Uhm, I'm sure it does survive flashing as i never had to reset my lock code to my own choosing... It sticks to the one I had setup before flashing.

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
It sticks to the one I had setup before flashing.
flashing what?