Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
So does this includes adaptations specifically for N900's resistive screen as well?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

I'd love to get involved. So far I've been unable to figure out where though. I keep an eye on the meego forums waiting for something to pop up that looks like I can do and someone else isn't already working on.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
While the thread about "No official Meego Release" gets a thousand views and a ton of comments, this thread about a Meego/Harmattan?maemo 6 hacker edition which answers all the questions gets no looks even after Qgil links it. Sometimes I shake my head at this forum, I really wish for the days when these tablets were for enthusiasts and not end users.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
The most frustrating aspect of this whole "N900 will be a reference MeeGo platform with community support but no official MeeGo release" business is that we have to pry bits and pieces of information, one at a time, out of qgil and Peter.

@Nokia: please make one detailed statement saying
a) What N900 owners can hope for from being the MeeGo reference platform
b) What MeeGo commercial support will include that will not trickle down to the N900
c) What items in (b) can practically have substitutes developed by the community.
d) What items in (c) are unlikely to have substitutes developed by the community, and why (e.g., because the source will be closed, or because they will take advantage of hardware unavailable on the N900, or for whatever other reason).
e) How and how long Nokia intends to support the N900 community from this point forward.

Until there is such a statement, this board will be drowning in noise, mass hysteria and FUD.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
While the thread about "No official Meego Release" gets a thousand views and a ton of comments, this thread about a Meego/Harmattan?maemo 6 hacker edition which answers all the questions gets no looks even after Qgil links it. Sometimes I shake my head at this forum, I really wish for the days when these tablets were for enthusiasts and not end users.
Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. FUD runs high around here. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hacks Flash 10.1 onto the n900 and 90% of the forum misses it because they are too busy complaining about the lack of an official port.

The page http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_realistically_expect needs a really thorough update now that PR 1.2 is out, and the Ovi store is about to get a refresh. A lot of the information / discussion is out of date.

The thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53571 is really excellent, I hadn't seen it yet. However, that just makes my point - no coordinated messaging that addresses all of the questions I (and others) pointed out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The work here is not about opening software but about integrating open and closed components in order to provide a user experience and feature set as close as possible to the one offered by Nokia in its first MeeGo based device.
in other words, we will beg nokia for binary blobs from meego and those crumbs that do fall from the table will end up being incompatible with our n900s.

Hackers and crackers will spend thousands of man hours for free trying to make this work on an n900, when in the end they could've worked at mcDonalds for 1/10th that time and bought the latest device.

I am selling both of my n900s to some of these folks for cheap so they can build a brick wall and I can move on to a newer device at a discount.

I am learning how it works around here, albeit, slowly.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If Mer were a success, I'd not complain. If OS2008HE was a success on the 770 - you had parts of it that didn't work on the 770 (sound, Flash player) - then I'd not complain.

The fact that Maemo5 will be dropped, and all updates will soon (probably) cease - six months, PR1.01, PR1.1, PR1.1.1 and now PR1.2 - is somewhat disappointing.

This is like Diablo all over again: 23-14, 30-2, 36-5, then 43-7... then silence. And the hacker editions of 2007 and 2008 on the 770 were downright slow.

Mer... never made it out of the gate. Mer^2, the state of that is... "it's coming". MeeGo for N900... same fate more than likely. Won't support the important bits, will be for enthusiasts that don't mind the closed bits not working and no way to get the modern bits of the OS.

Yet another "start, stop, restart" from Nokia on this one. I do hope that the future "hacker editions" are usable whereas the other ones were truly not.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
End user here, I read this whole thread and ignored the others. Just to let you know there are exceptions to every rule. As an end user, I am waiting and seeing because I am not sure what it all really means. I am basically happy with the N900 and am loathe to support the more closed eco-systems out there (I also support cummunity based farming).

Fred

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego