Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I can't wait for the next Microsoft shareholder's meeting.
But, mmm let me see, that's the meeting between Bill & Steve & Stephie, right?

They're already angry enough at Balmer, as it is, and now I want to see how they react to buying up what's left of Nokia.
Not really, or actually it does not really matter what the small fish think. The major shareholders know of this all, or to better say, they just did it like planned all along...

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
One good thing with this deal is that both Nokia Lottery and Microsoft Lottery spam emails will come as a single mail

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
...But, but!
http://www.winrumors.com/nokias-step...crosoft-plant/
The board of directors would have denied it too. Admitting it would have been an even bigger disaster for Nokia's value as well as disqualify the board of directors. This way, Elop gets all the blame while the Board of Directors can stay out of the heat. A plus is that Elop isn't a Finn, which makes blaming him a lot easier than blaming actual Finns.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by LavaCroft View Post
The board of directors would have denied it too. Admitting it would have been an even bigger disaster for Nokia's value as well as disqualify the board of directors. This way, Elop gets all the blame while the Board of Directors can stay out of the heat. A plus is that Elop isn't a Finn, which makes blaming him a lot easier than blaming actual Finns.
Oh well. Finland is going to fade back into the virtually obscure background again like it had been before Nokia started hitting it big with cell phones--unless this Jolla crap pans out. It BETTER not turn out to be crap after all of this.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Not really, or actually it does not really matter what the small fish think. The major shareholders know of this all, or to better say, they just did it like planned all along...
I repeat my question: Didn't Nokia already lose most if not all of their best and brightest minds to their competitors already? How can shareholders be okay with this particular purchase?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Finally, whew. I was waiting for this moment so bad.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I repeat my question: Didn't Nokia already lose most if not all of their best and brightest minds to their competitors already? How can shareholders be okay with this particular purchase?
Well, MS needs to go to mobile, it absolutely yearns it. It has no choise.
The desktop&server business is profitable but there's no growth up there. The only business in town is the mobile business, they've realised it and haven't got it.

Now, they might well be throwing money to the fire but oh boy they have got plenty of that stuff. If there's a remonte chance that this aquisition is going to turn profit one day they are risking all to do it.

And just as I said, shareholders are just Bill & his bedboys, the rest don't have a say on it.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Finland
How does this affect Jolla? If I understood right Jolla uses Nokia's technologies on their permission. Now that those technologies are owned by Microsoft.... ?

I'm glad its over.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I'm glad its over.
I need to go back and read some of the old, obnoxiously myopic arguments that sounded like marketing reads that I used to get from some of the Nokia employees every time I pointed out obvious moves toward this end. I've said something along these words all along: It doesn't make me happy to be right about this--but I can see where it [was] going. Particularly telling was all the puffery about open-source and openness while they overtly became more and more closed-source. I saw that coming years ago, sadly. I'll say this again too: I'm glad I didn't waste any MORE money than I already did back when I got the N800 and the companion navigation kit for it. Nokia didn't deserve to succeed when it didn't listen to what customers wanted either.

Sadly, it's a lot of workers who'll suffer the most for upper-management's golden parachutes and windfall PERSONAL profits while the company gets disappeared.