Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
duh....that did it.

i had to cd MyDocs

lmao

OMG THX YOU SO MUCH!
this is a MAJOR improvement for the email client on n900
now my client is REALLY FAST!

Wow, I just installed this, and the performance/speed gain is really noticeable!

Thanks so much for putting this together!

Happy to field questions where I can help.
================================================

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
i might be asking too much but I really would like a proper Hildon or Qt base email client (modest is fine) that deals with Gmail IMAP peculiarities in 'deleting' emails.

Now I'm spending soo much time actually deleting emails twice, once on my N900 and once on my laptop. i'll happy pay a beer (and a lot more) to someone who can deliver a modest version that moves a to-be-deleted email to the gmal/trash folder instead of sending a simple standard imap delete command and the mail just ending in the 'all mails' folder..
I don't care if it's open to everyone, I know lots of other people also would love this.
Of course it needs to be build on top of the latest community modest version (with offline support etc)

PM me if you can do it. Honestly, I'm so fed up with this non-specific IMAP behaviour and the inability of the Maemo community to create a custom modest version that deals properly with the strange gmail IMAP behaviour.

I hope someone feels brave enough to do it. Let me know. I'm willing to sponsor, within reason of course

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
i might be asking too much but I really would like a proper Hildon or Qt base email client (modest is fine) that deals with Gmail IMAP peculiarities in 'deleting' emails.

Now I'm spending soo much time actually deleting emails twice, once on my N900 and once on my laptop. i'll happy pay a beer (and a lot more) to someone who can deliver a modest version that moves a to-be-deleted email to the gmal/trash folder instead of sending a simple standard imap delete command and the mail just ending in the 'all mails' folder..
I don't care if it's open to everyone, I know lots of other people also would love this.
Of course it needs to be build on top of the latest community modest version (with offline support etc)

PM me if you can do it. Honestly, I'm so fed up with this non-specific IMAP behaviour and the inability of the Maemo community to create a custom modest version that deals properly with the strange gmail IMAP behaviour.

I hope someone feels brave enough to do it. Let me know. I'm willing to sponsor, within reason of course
It is already in the works.
http://trojita.flaska.net/
It is in extras and it does work.
Now if he would just add notifications to it then I could use it and dump modest forever.
But as it stands it downloads the emails but unless you are constantly looking at the device and checking you won't know if you have mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to Techark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
If you cannot install any packages after you update modest:

create /etc/apt/preferences and edit like this:

package: libtinymail-camel
pin release: a=unstable
pin-priority: 1000

package: hildon-desktop
pin release: a=unstable
pin-priority: 1001

save the file, reboot if you are unsure (last pin is for http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60599 )

Something about apt-pinning http://www.howtoforge.com/a-short-in...to-apt-pinning

VI commands http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/vimcheat.html

I don't guarantee that trick works! Remove the preferences file you want to get rid of hacks. Then do apt-get get upgrade or apt-get --fix-broken install or something like and you should get the old ones back and able to install new apps

Last edited by jmk; 2010-08-22 at 20:48.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Surrey
Great fix so thanks a lot. My email client is very fast the difference is very noticeable.

tried this, unzipping the tarball gave no errors but didnt seem to update. when i check the version it says '3.2.13-3+0m5'. any thoughts? i made sure i was root and was in the proper MyDocs folter when i unzipped the tarball

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Just another satisfied customer checking in.

Here's hoping that these improvements make it into any future update packs.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post

better would be if a email client would see if it is gmail
and then add Archive and Delete commands to the popup list (or have buttons somewhere)
and then Archive sends a imap delete and the Delete moved it to trash. Then we have the same behavior as through the browser.