I'm slightly stumped....figured I may get a quick answer here since I don't have a long run of consecutive time to troubleshoot this, maybe I can get some hints to check for my problem...(espeak problem, not my personal ones)

I thought it may have to do with the flite libs so I removed and reinstalled them but no joy.

I can get espeak to generate wav files but it will not play the text when I execute a command similar to this via x-term:

espeak "WTF, this is broke and I'm not sure what I did to cause it right now, anyone have hints"

I guess the best way to summarize is I get no "live" output from the app.....things to check? TIA

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=40

i am not sure if this is helpful but have a look .might help .

This is an existing problem on the N800's as well. Try a "power search" or Google search for maemo.org for threads discussing this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
I'm at work now, left my kit in the car....

that festival-multi.deb is heavy on the rootfs, I have approx 15mb free....I'll have to do more app reconciliation and clear some space. Why can't I just simply espeak Spanish. Thanks for the tips guys. If I have any positive results I'll update the first post. In the meantime anyone else have other tips or a suggestion for a smaller festival package please share.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
It's not espeak, it's flite. I had the same problem before espeak was available and flite was the only option. I hacked it by making a shell script that modified the output path to pipe it through to a player. So flite thought it was putting out to a wav file, and the "player" was reading it from stdin. Kind of a hack (and caused a slight delay) but it was usable.

Once the normal espeak came out (and worked) I disabled the hack and went on from there. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: