Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by xes View Post
@joerg_rw

Do you think that the pcb layout could be designed with a little space dedicated to optionally solder an rtl2832 and an e4000?

Usually, this would require a very little space and would allow to have onboard a dvb-t tuner and an sdr receiver.

Look here for an example of pcb with these ic:
http://www.radioelementi.it/public/dtb_sdr.jpg

Eventual rtl2832-gr IC availability:
http://www.oemstrade.com/search/RTL2832-GR/
Hi xes!
I know you're a brilliant datasheet and chip source detective, could you help us with finding sources and maybe even evaluating if we maybe can find some better tuner than the e4000? The major problem with all this is a) power consumption and b) antenna
I'd like to find a solution that could as well serve as pager but doesn't cut through the battery in <8h. SDR is not exactly idealy suited for that, by design. So we would like a tuner that also has standard narrow band AM/FM decode, low power consumption, and still an ultrawide tuning range to support all the different pager standards worldwide, as well as the rtl2832 based SDR. Ideally we accompany the whole contraption with a low power MCU like PIC or whatever, to do the decoding and detection of "your" pager number, or at least buffer a maybe 10s of audio samples, so the main CPU doesn't need to stay active all the time but rather can do bulk processing of the "audio" signal once every 10s.
Xes, we also would like to implement a decent low power (USB suspend capable) USB hub for all this, since we don't have that many USB busses on the SoC, so we need to share something - e.g. the modem USB link. Alternatively we at least need a USB-compliant (ultralow parasitic capacity, <10pF iirc, USB2.0 specs, 50Ohm(?) impedance) multiplexer to switch the external USB between USB receptacle and the internal usage

@all: please refrain from posting noise and funny meaningless posts to this thread, it's long enough without that noise. Thanks

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-12 at 16:22.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@joerg_rw

Do you think that the pcb layout could be designed with a little space dedicated to optionally solder an rtl2832 and an e4000?

Usually, this would require a very little space and would allow to have onboard a dvb-t tuner and an sdr receiver.
I am in in for that one, too!
Power consumption is really big problem, so maybe unresolvable?
Antenna: couldn't the earphone cable be used, just like FM reception? (forgive me, little to no EE experience)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
This just made my decision not to buy a neo900...

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
This just made my decision not to buy a neo900...
Sorry to hear that. Anyway we can't suit everybody. If the specs of Neo900 don't appeal to you and you don't like to discuss them with Neo900 group and other future customers, then there's little that can get done.

BR
jOERG

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Antenna: couldn't the earphone cable be used, just like FM reception?
That might work, but only about on a par with those simple stick antennas that usually come with the cheap USB DVB-T adaptors. Basically, you need to sit virtually under the TV transmitter tower to get any signal at all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
@joerg_rw
ok, i'm happy to collect any information to evalulate the feasibility of an sdr directly onboard because i'm sure this will open a new entire universe of functions and possibilities for the Neo900.
But... about the pcb space required, do you think there is a place also for this option?
One more think to evaulate is some kind of pcb separation/shielding for the sdr antenna connections.

@peterleinchen
i don't think that the antenna obtained from the earphone cable would be a good solution for both dvb-t and generig sdr usage. (signals too weak and too much inteferences)
In my opinion, something like an MS147 antenna connector would be more appropriate.

PS.
At this moment, i'm playing with sdr to receive the signals of my weather station sensors with rtl_433 (https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433) to read temperature and humidity directly from the phone.
World is....wireless

Last edited by xes; 2014-01-12 at 22:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Sorry to hear that. Anyway we can't suit everybody. If the specs of Neo900 don't appeal to you and you don't like to discuss them with Neo900 group and other future customers, then there's little that can get done.

BR
jOERG
I dont wat to buy something of you since you just behaved as a complete *bitch* or *troll* as they also are called ( where should i turn if there is a problem!? ) otherwise i was interested in the improved sound.

@joerg_rw
ok, i'm happy to collect any information to evalulate the feasibility of an sdr directly onboard because i'm sure this will open a new entire universe of functions and possibilities for the Neo900.
But... about the pcb space required, do you think there is a place also for this option?
One more think to evaulate is some kind of pcb separation/shielding for the sdr antenna connections.
Probably all those points are easily manageable. We have quite some space available for stuff like this, thanks to the "sandwich". Antenna(-connector) itself however is a bad problem. And availability of the chip might turn out to be another severe showstopper.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-12 at 23:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I dont wat to buy something of you...
Sorry I don't see your problem. But I guess it wouldn't help if I did. Of course it's up to your sole discretion if you want to buy a Neo900 or not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I dont wat to buy something of you since you just behaved as a complete *bitch* or *troll* as they also are called ( where should i turn if there is a problem!? ) otherwise i was interested in the improved sound.
W-h-a-a-a-t?!!!

That was totally uncalled for. Jörg's posts were absolutely civil. He answered all questions. Wherever possible, he came forward and suggetsed solutions. Wherever not possible, he explained why. I can't speak for him but if I could, I would say good job you are not buying. You would make a real nightmare customer.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!