Active Topics

For small amounts but frequent data like Skype, VoIP, IM, etc, 2.5g is actually less powerhungry than 3g by far.

3g starts to win once you're doing something that takes more than 5-10 seconds of continuous transfer at max 3g speed to complete. Lots of websites are so slow to respond that they load about as fast on 2g and 3g, in which case 2g would use less power to do it.

Downloading podcasts with gpodder is a case where 3g clearly uses less power than 2g.

Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Most battery related problems are a program that won't go idle. Or maintaining a 3G data connection with chat enabled, or wifi (not so bad) with chat.

Try this:
top -d 240

and leave it alone for at least 4 minutes.
Then look at the CPU % column and you can see what is using CPU time. Ideally everything should be 0%. Less than 1% might be ok.

or install one of the battery graph programs. I've used "BatteryGraph" to monitor what uses up the battery.
---------------
I have tried and the CPU is 8% usr is 2.3% nice 90% and idle 0.7% and rest of them are 0. any advice

Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
My battery drains empty in about 12 hours now without using it, it's just 12 hours of standby
Code:
Powertop 1.13.3
Sleeping for 11 seconds before sampling
Collecting data for 600 seconds
Sample interval was 10m 00s 19287us

C#      | Ratio  | Avg/dura | Frequency | Ratio
--------+--------+----------+-----------+--------+
     C0 |   7.9% |          |  1150 MHz |   nan% |
     C1 |   0.6% |    3.8ms | 
     C2 |  10.4% |    6.8ms | 
     C3 |  48.7% |  110.5ms | 
     C4 |  32.4% |  631.0ms | 

Total wakeups  115160, 191.9/s | IRQ 98245, 163.7/s | Timers 16915,  28.2/s
HW wakeups      224,   0.4/s |     Real gp_timers expired  123,   0.2/s
Anyone able to see the problem ??
At least 49% of that 10m it was doing (C3) something and not sleeping (C4). WLAN activity is shown on the other lines, but I am no expert interpreting powertop output.

Originally Posted by fazaln900 View Post
---------------
I have tried and the CPU is 8% usr is 2.3% nice 90% and idle 0.7% and rest of them are 0. any advice
powertop, IMO, gives more meaningful results, see above.

---------------
Mine currently is 1.9% user, 0.8% sys 0.0% nice, 96.2% idle.

But I more mean to look at the part below so you can see what is using your CPU cycles:
for me its:
skyhost at 1.4% CPU,
telepathy-spirit 0.2% CPU

These are part of the instant message protocols I have.
I Mainly suggest top so it's easy to identify the culprit programs and doesn't involve installing things. But powertop does let you see the power states which is nice.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
blackbird: sort of high traffic on wlan for idle.. And what's the cifs stuff, mounting smb shares?.. Is wifi powersaving on max? Skype, haze and the rest being as obnoxious as usual..

The i2c irq count looks very high, but all these figures might be a bit polluted since it kinda looks like your device wasn't idle the entire powertop sampling period
I don't know what the cifs thing does, I've got wizard mounter installed but not running, and when I run it, I only use nfs. wifi powersaving is max.

The powertop application was runnig for 10 minutes and I left the device on a table for at least 15 minutes so any activity was not done by me.

I have increased the battery life a bit now. The last week my phone was running at 850 Mhz max (not a problem) but the low end was 125 (a problem I guess). Now the limits are 250 till 850 and battery life increased by something like 25%

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
At least 49% of that 10m it was doing (C3) something and not sleeping (C4). WLAN activity is shown on the other lines, but I am no expert interpreting powertop output.
The only thing I can imagine is the IM is producing a lot of Wlan activity.

Last edited by blackbird; 2010-09-18 at 21:03.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
My battery is at 48% after 10hrs of minimum usuage including wifi usage and gprs

here's a log I made of my day

18 Sep. 2010
Uptime 1hr 22mins
Online via Wifi apprx. 45mins
Installed 4apps and ran then around 10mins TOTAL
Battery now 79%
Went to bed set phone to OFFLINE
Woke Up Battery at 68%
Charged while ON to 96%
Start light Wifi use 2:56pm Battery @ 75%
End 3:24pm Battery @ 68%
Did a system restart Battery now @ 60%
Did a system restart Battery now @ 56%
Very good battery level after a days work with minimum usage.
TIME: 7:49 BATTERY LEVEL 53%

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Mine drops dead in about 4-5 hours...but I'm a heavy user of the device. Constantly using it all day for just about everything. Pedometer, GPS nav, music, podcasts, streaming audio, FM transmitter in the car, photos/movies, Web browsing, games, etc..etc..etc..and more.

Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Mine currently is 1.9% user, 0.8% sys 0.0% nice, 96.2% idle.

But I more mean to look at the part below so you can see what is using your CPU cycles:
for me its:
skyhost at 1.4% CPU,
telepathy-spirit 0.2% CPU

These are part of the instant message protocols I have.
I Mainly suggest top so it's easy to identify the culprit programs and doesn't involve installing things. But powertop does let you see the power states which is nice.
----------------------------------
could someone help me in understanding the difference between Htop, Top in xterminal and powetop as I have all 3 in my n900 ... I saw Powertop in graphics interface in one of the post ...but im not getting that ..how do i get that ???

----------------------------------
I saw Powertop in graphics interface in one of the post ...but im not getting that ..how do i get that ???
You cannot get a GUI to powertop unless someone writes or ports a program for it. Currently there is no GUI. In the other thread someone just had GUI from some other program as an example for the feature request.

You can redirect powertop's output to the text file and then copy+paste it for examination here. like this:
# powertop > /home/user/MyDocs/tmp/powertop-out.txt

Last edited by zimon; 2010-09-19 at 05:48.