Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
A keyboard will make the Jolla mobile unique in a world dominated by Samsung and apples thinner-is-better-world.

I want to see something else. A small company with the power to try some new and maybe, just maybe get someone of the big elephants to join, follow or take over jolla for their product is so different.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have to text in English and German.
(...having also daily to type in both English & German, i solved this easily.

A custom keyboard layout created by MS Keyboard Layout Creator (AltGr+vocal chars prints their respective umlauts, amongst other uses) under Win7, and xmodmap under Linux, where mapping key chars using modifiers results in the same behavior.

Flexible enough. Sadly, not that easy to do on most soft keyboards. Anyway, let's stop here; i get your point.)

Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
Wow, you got a point. A slide-out keyboard without any labels and below it a touchscreen, a resistive one would be best I think as it's much more accurate and pushing the keys would just touch the touchscreen.
This was _the_ original concept for a non-labeled, but switchable-layout keyboard:
http://store.artlebedev.com/electronics/optimus/

I dunno if it ever was really available besides prototypes; at least the 3-key version was. The price 5 years ago was IIRC 1200€, so...
I still dream of having a mechanical keyboard (preferably using Cherry MX blue-stem switches), and keycaps w/ small OLED displays that show the mapped key codes/combinations.

EDIT:
Ther _is_ a purchasable smaller version, for your tablet etc. needs:
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/popularis/

To quote one of my favorite comedy shows (Sataan): "Only $500, Mister".... Nope, it's still $1086

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-09-24 at 08:53.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
e-ink hardware keyboard, with a ctrl key! I'd buy that! (But I'll make do without hwkb)
I don't know.... For me, the whole point of a HW keyboard is to feel the keys while typing. What would be the difference between an onscreen keyboard and an additional e-ink one?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Read or heard somewhere that Jolla should do something fun with the community. What could that be community device program?

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
For me, the whole point of a HW keyboard is to feel the keys while typing. What would be the difference between an onscreen keyboard and an additional e-ink one?
They're talking about optimus-style keyboards, with moving keys, where each one is its own display so the "keycaps" can change dynamically. Interesting concept, but too expensive and gimmicky IMHO.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yeah. And jolla.com
why everyone is talking about this website? I've never been able to display it...

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by krutznikov View Post
why everyone is talking about this website? I've never been able to display it...
The site is already been "bought" but its just empty.

Check this:
http://whois.domaintools.com/jolla.com

Originally Posted by krutznikov View Post
The first one that finds a working www.jolla.com created by jolla Ltd should be rewrded with a brand new jolla device. (At least that would be the case if was Head of Community devices at jolla). But I'm not so we will see what is happening, the winner might end up without a device

Anyway, Let the game begin!

I wonder what Google do if jolla realise a great alc layer. Do they have to approve or do they even have to aprove? I mean you can run your software where everyou like. Will be intressting. Still skeptical to this layer. Must be some down sides otherwise that should have been in used already.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
did I get lost in the jolla sheep thread? will we start saying jPhone, jPad, and jDOn't.

Where is that product?

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla