Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Hello TMO!

I have an idea - I'd like to bring it to reality. I have made mention in the Neo900 thread that I want to put an ATMEGA into the N/Neo900 so we can make anything out of our phones!
Just another cool thing we can do with an N900 that most (all?) others cannot! haha...

Essentially N900'Duino!
Should be as easy as, remove rear case, place ATMEGA case on.

This will also work with standard N900, no need for Neo (will be better with the neo board - IO connections).

What I need: An STL or 3D design file of the N900 rear case.
I'm not a graphic designer and will take me far too long to make an N900 3D design file. I have tried autocad (123) to make an STL from photos, did not work.

I plan on printing the file once I have the connection points ready.

What it will (theoretically) do: Have an arduino compatible unit in the case, with an external header (embedded into the case) which we can add SHIELDS on top of!

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
As promised in Backcover/Body Replacement thread, I'll release all project files for produced components under some Free license (might need to evaluate best one to use, Creative Commons comes out from top of my head). For a backcover, it is actually 100% ready - just checking for elements that may prove problematic to anodize and, eventually, correcting them.

If you don't care about such details as anodizing-friendly shaped, I may send you current, pre-polished version of files. *Although*, I don't have STL (or other 3D) files for backcover, using 2D CAD drawings from various planes, and converting them to g-codes for CNC milling/3-D printing (inc. enormous amount of manual work, i.e. manual g-codes correcting/writing). Of course, g-codes are also things that I'll be releasing, and may share a non-polished (yet) version with you.
---

Now, if for some reasons you absolutely need 3D files, I would recommend OpenSCAD and it's (semi) automatic 2D->3D extrusion from 2D CAD files. I haven't done it myself, but OpenSCAD website have some tutorials on the matter.

Having STL files greatly aid in automatic creation of g-codes (99,99% automatically for 3D printers - importing STL files integrated in most FOSS solutions you only need to adjust some details in rare cases. For CNC milling, it's only semi-automatic, i.e. might require re-working some stupidities in most cases, and requires external tools, like awesome PyCAM). I would certainly be able to finish repl. project earlier, if I had access to scanned 3D models of N900's body - but, sadly, attempts at providing those by supporters failed up-to-date (thanks for trying, anyway!), so I had to fallback into doing manual work myself. 3D scanning isn't yet that available :/

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your reply!
If you can help with some files, that would be brilliant!

As for the anodising friendly - Not required at all Happy to use any file and hopefully I can get it into a 3D editing program.

What I want to do is (as an extra) : Custom Stylus with user names engraved into it (printed into the stylus) and the same with the rear shell. Would make the N900 a little more "personal" with my username on it

This is what I plan to add, or the model up (Tiny Duino).

http://tiny-circuits.com/products/tinylily/

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
You do realise there is a UART available under the battery?

You already can make the n900 into anything.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Hey VI, long time. I have no idea how to use it.... Yet. Muggy
Might go figure that one out. Want an atmega as I know how to use it. Will look into the. Uart though. Thanks