Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Call me biased, but to me it sounds like yet another excuse they will use when they fail to ship the device.
They do not upgrade the RAM because of this reason... They want to keep their schedule.
So I'm curious what will happen next.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Even if so far I've had little success with my Atom phone that actually runs Android (oh, the irony), I am still not used to the idea of a device capable of running x86 windows being "barely able to run GNU/Linux".

What drivers are missing?
Usually (this refers to Baytrail and its ilk)
  1. Screen resolution is hopelessly indecipherable
  2. Wifi not found (needs a lockpicking activation signal)
  3. Crapacitive Touch configuration nightmare
  4. anything and everything else hardware is nonexistium
    if it can even be detected (detection being 90% of ATOM issues)

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
In regards to using an android phone to run a linux distribution via chroot this was my best attempt. In 2013 I had a galaxy note 2 and used linux on android app to chroot ubuntu. I had flashed a galaxy tab app launcher so that I could access all android apps, including phone and browser from the bottom of the screen while using ubuntu. It actually wasn't that bad. All android apps could open in a floating resizable window. I had a bluetooth keyboard that could be attached like a clamshell if needed. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by mscion; 2016-07-12 at 06:21.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
They do not upgrade the RAM because of this reason... They want to keep their schedule.
So I'm curious what will happen next.
Well, "to keep their schedule", they are now adding a fan, redesigning the chassis (making it larger), changing the battery model and form factor, removing the stereo speakers, ... just 3 months before the shipping date.

I find myself in a "I want to believe" situation, but it really looks like yet another Indiegogo vaporware campaign.

A similar "microPC" project I was also following has recently bitten the dust: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1637693

But, to be honest, those guys were much more vaporware-ish than GPD. I mean, they even promised "color eink screen"...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
In regards to using an android phone to run a linux distribution via chroot this was my best attempt. In 2013 I had a galaxy note 2 and used linux on android app to chroot ubuntu..
In fact, this approach just keeps looking better and better. I've seen Note 4s (the most recent ones still with replaceable battery) for ~300ish euros. And I could really use a stylus...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
In fact, this approach just keeps looking better and better. I've seen Note 4s (the most recent ones still with replaceable battery) for ~300ish euros. And I could really use a stylus...
Currently, this is the best option for me. One draw back is that sound does not work, or at least it never was known to work well using Linux on Android app. So if I want to watch (and hear!) a video I use an android player. Maybe someone can improve that. Regardless, I've found having the full linux distribution on my phone quite useful at times. Although, the android document reader apps are getting better, I still on occasion use libre office as it can give better renders of documents. Especially those with equations. Simple utilities like convert often come in handy. The other thing is you can connect to bigger screen via hdmi so you have a full computer. While playing around on my Note Edge I noticed I can actually treat my linux distribution as a virtual machine. In this screenshot below I have fedora running in a window I can open and close or minimize!
Samsung has done a great job with its stylus. Really comes in handy in many ways. Can use to cut and paste and even convert handwriting to text.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Well, "to keep their schedule", they are now adding a fan, redesigning the chassis (making it larger), changing the battery model and form factor, removing the stereo speakers, ... just 3 months before the shipping date.

I find myself in a "I want to believe" situation, but it really looks like yet another Indiegogo vaporware campaign.

A similar "microPC" project I was also following has recently bitten the dust: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1637693

But, to be honest, those guys were much more vaporware-ish than GPD. I mean, they even promised "color eink screen"...
Don't underestimate GPD...

About PGS: yes, they are 100% scammers

(Where is Dave999 when you need him?!)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
One draw back is that sound does not work, or at least it never was known to work well using Linux on Android app.
This is, at least for me, literally the only remaining benefit Sailfish OS has over Android.

That because Sailfish OS uses many of the same components used by desktop GNU/Linux, communication between the chroot and the host is trivial. Not only audio; but also D-Bus, process/user/network management, etc. E.g. I have the ability to configure networks from the chroot, including complicated setups such as NAT from Wi-fi to USB, or to place phone calls from the chroot, send SMS, interact with the notifications, etc.

While _any_ of these is possible with a chroot under Android, it becomes much harder.

For example, I'm sure that it is possible to write a Pulseaudio service in Android, so that you can have audio from the chroot, but a) it is much harder b) it will suck (e.g. latency, mapping of features, etc.).

Sadly, SailfishOS could also be much better in this regard. For example, Wayland is, at this point, an annoyance more than anything.

The other thing is you can connect to bigger screen via hdmi so you have a full computer.
I've installed x2go on my Gentoo chroot, and I have to say it's a good experience to be able to have a "known-good" Gentoo desktop in any computer I plug my Jolla in. HDMI and USB-host would be icing on the cake...

While playing around on my Note Edge I noticed I can actually treat my linux distribution as a virtual machine. In this screenshot below I have fedora running in a window I can open and close or minimize!
(Not exactly, since you can't hibernate it, and I'm not sure if Android has swap enabled?)

Samsung has done a great job with its stylus. Really comes in handy in many ways. Can use to cut and paste and even convert handwriting to text.
:envy: It is very tempting. In fact that's one the very few things I'd swap the hw keyboard on the Jolla 1 for.

I've spent more than 150eur in various capacitive stylii and my overall impression is that they all suck, except for Apple's one.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
GPD Win running Ubuntu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsNZk0ydqeQ

Edit: although it could be running in a VM... notice the bar at the top on 0:05

Last edited by HtheB; 2016-08-02 at 15:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Yep, vmware. Doesn't even prove if Intel VT-x is BIOS-unlocked. Useless.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy