Active Topics

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
So, new RX-51 appears to be near to release. That's good! Specs look nice, etc. Initial rumors are that it will be a T-Mo product. Hmm, I am on AT&T. Well, maybe I can buy it unlocked. Oops, T-Mo uses different frequency band for its 3G than AT&T. Humph. Wonder if Nokia will release a phone for AT&T?

No, I won't switch carriers to get this device. Although I won't sing AT&T's praises, they've never done anything to cause me to seriously consider switching. I guess living in AT&T's hometown (San Antonio) helps.

TANJ.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
whats stopping nokia from providing a gsm radio that can talk at&t as well as t-mobile bands?

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Quadband GSM is one thing, 3G support is another.

Nokia has released most of their N Series smartphones unlocked in the US with AT&T 3G frequency support. They have not released any parallel versions with T-mobile 3G frequencies.

My guess is that if this device will remain without a carrier subsidy, they will only produce it with support for one GSM carrier's 3G network and not the other.

On the other hand, since Maemo on a phone is thus far unproven--Nokia may be going with support for only the T-mobile band since it is the smaller carrier in terms of number of subscribers. I suppose that it is less of a risk to "live test" this device on T-mobile, rather than potentially alienating AT&T's larger user base if something does go wrong.

If all goes well, I would presume that more maemo phone devices would be forthcoming that would be usable on the AT&T 3g network.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
quick guess is that nokia uses radios that have their frequencies set in hardware, and as such need to burn thru the existing stock of non-t-mobile chips before deploying ones that also work on t-mobile.

this based on t-mobile only recently getting its UTMS frequencies, iirc.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
I guess living in AT&T's hometown (San Antonio) helps.

TANJ.
So... how do you feel about their move to Dallas?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
So... how do you feel about their move to Dallas?
It's funny. When I was stationed in San Angelo, TX in the 80s, I seem to recall that being the headquarters of the late, great Southwestern Bell (RIP). Years later, I'm in San Antonio, where AT&T made its home.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a move in my future?

Seriously, I didn't know they were moving. It really doesn't matter to me. Them being here probably had nothing at all to do with the fairly decent 3G coverage....

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Quadband GSM is one thing, 3G support is another.

Nokia has released most of their N Series smartphones unlocked in the US with AT&T 3G frequency support. They have not released any parallel versions with T-mobile 3G frequencies.

My guess is that if this device will remain without a carrier subsidy, they will only produce it with support for one GSM carrier's 3G network and not the other.

On the other hand, since Maemo on a phone is thus far unproven--Nokia may be going with support for only the T-mobile band since it is the smaller carrier in terms of number of subscribers. I suppose that it is less of a risk to "live test" this device on T-mobile, rather than potentially alienating AT&T's larger user base if something does go wrong.

If all goes well, I would presume that more maemo phone devices would be forthcoming that would be usable on the AT&T 3g network.

Maybe AT&T felt they already had a full plate, pi**ing off iPhone owners...

I suppose that it is less of a risk to "live test" this device on T-mobile, rather than potentially alienating AT&T's larger user base if something does go wrong.
Or it's the fact that T-mobile has a worldwide presence, while AT&T is just the USA.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Or it's the fact that T-mobile has a worldwide presence, while AT&T is just the USA.
We have recently come to the conclusion that Nokia absolutely does not care about the US market. . . .

I'd switch if I could but, first, T-Mobile coverage (especially 3G coverage) in my area sucks and, second, I'm on a family plan at the moment that includes two iPhones.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
We have recently come to the conclusion that Nokia absolutely does not care about the US market. . . .
Agreed...

If they did they would saturate this market with low cost tablets. They could then use community forums like ours to distribute FOSS software or provide a means with which to BT tether to any and all US carrier subsidized phones.

There are plenty of people in the middle of contracts that have BT capable phones that are not "Smart" phones. Some would jump on the opportunity to test drive "smart" phone features on their current networks without committing to another 2 years of contract.

With an NIT they could also take these new found features with them if they choose another carrier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:

Tags
at&t, rx51