Poll: Are you happy with N900 frame/hardware quality?
Poll Options
Are you happy with N900 frame/hardware quality?

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
I too noticed the gap at the edge of the keyboard and get the click sound which proves that the thing is not properly attached and the little rim just after the last row of keys isn't set properly coz the side that has this gap has this rim popping above the surface little bit while the other side doesn't. Thought of starting thread about it but felt it wasn't a big deal though my fren's n900 is much solid and firm and today I saw this thread and found that I'm not alone. However, I can't complain to nokia care around my place coz I'm in Aus and the device is from US and its not out here yet. So I'm living with it with all my effort to try and ignore it but still it haunts s'times. And my device has stuck pixel as well on top to make things even worst .

EDIT: @lynxus: I tend to end up like you too.

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2010-02-05 at 05:25.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I too noticed the gap at the edge of the keyboard and get the click sound which proves that the thing is not properly attached and the little rim just after the last row of keys isn't set properly coz the side that has this gap has this rim popping above the surface little bit while the other side doesn't. Thought of starting thread about it but felt it wasn't a big deal though my fren's n900 is much solid and firm and today I saw this thread and found that I'm not alone. However, I can't complain to nokia care around my place coz I'm in Aus and the device is from US and its not out here yet. So I'm living with it with all my effort to try and ignore it but still it haunts s'times. And my device has stuck pixel as well on top to make things even worst .
Fellin sorry for you, this fine piece of tech shouldn't have hw mistakes like that. Just reveived my retour package, gonna have a look at it an checking it for mistakes....
has somebody kinda checklist or something like that btw?

I have had a gap in the bottom of the keyboard where a line of light shines through. It seems like the cut out was wrong or something. Also the light plastic piece keeps coming loose on the bottom where I have to push it back down for it to stay.

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
On a recent Asian trip I saw N900 clones for sale in Singapore and Hong Kong. They look exactly like my N900 and were priced the same. You know they are knockoffs because they have Chinese language support which the official version doesn't have yet. If you bought yours on the grey market, be warned!
The chinese did the "chinese-fication" of the OS. Yes, it is from grey market, because there is no official N900 in Aisa, it has been imported from other country. But one thing to be sure, that is not Knockoffs

more details here.
http://news.chinaunix.net/digi/2009/1216/199750.shtml

also in case you think that may not be real, here is a video that the "Chinese-fied" N900 in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfAW1MaFvo

Hi.

Got the device for maybe three weeks and a week ago I noticed that the keyboard bezel was coming off at the bottom side of the keyboard. Here's a picture (click to enlarge):

It's really soft and I can press it back into the casing but it pops right back again. As it's too far out, there's some light leaking out from below the keyboard as well. Looks pretty broken. I never dropped the device even once and kept it in a nice pouch all the time in my pocket. It was not once left in the sun or in extreme cold.

I'm going to return it at my shop as soon as they have a replacement in stock. Seems like this is not a common problem. Maybe a production fault...

Well, this just FYI, another thing that might break. No deeper purpose to this thread

Last edited by shapeshifter; 2010-03-01 at 17:33.

Wow, did you happen to leave it in a really hot car, or oven, or clothes dryer? Looks like you melted the case!

Nope, I kept it safe inside the pouch in my pocket all the time. No exposure to sun, not to cold... It's not melted, but it seems like the bezel is held in place by some small hooks and it seems like on my phone one of them is missing/broken.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
it seems like the bezel is held in place by some small hooks and it seems like on my phone one of them is missing/broken.
Yeah I can't even get my case to deflect a little if I try to spread that area with a fingernail.

It was like that out of the box then?

I didn't notice this problem when I took it out of the box. One morning when I picked it up from my table where it was charging, I noticed it. I'm guessing it was already faulty/loose but didn't show the fault right on.

Same thing happened to mine actually, if I run my fingernail along the length of the bezel below the bottom row of keys it will snap back into place. As soon as I open the screen though to expose the keyboard it seems to get tugged on and comes back out a little bit.

Tags
broken, gap, hardware, hardware keyboard, keyboard, keyboard problem, keyboard quality, keyboard surround, loose, n900, problem