Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
sure they did. Everybody knows about all other crappy closed services. Which I don't use and everybody look at me like I'm a weirdo. But on the other hand, at least no one bothers me all the time. My wife uses all those things and her phone is beeping all the time. I would go nuts in 3 days.
After all, if any of those services work so does the phone. Call me if you need me. Or send the SMS. They are mostly free and unlimited here.
Offtopic: Dude, you just described me and my girl. The majority of clueless "smartphone" dumbusers have their phones on 30eur+ contract with 1-3GB data, 300/600/unlimited minutes, 1000/unlimited sms, but the only thing they care of is whatsap, fb and all that crap. I already deducted why this social-addicted mass is reluctant to pick up the phone and call someone like in good old days. Cause 1 hour of whatsap nonsense chat is equivalent to 5 minutes of phone talk, thus they are pretending to have far more to say than it would look like during the call.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Last edited by xanderx; 2014-08-10 at 07:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Give me one that...
1. Does IM, VoIP*) and screen sharing in one application;
Does it really need to be one application for two such completely different tasks? It's like asking for program for managing your finances, and try to crack WPA network with rainbow tables - all in one application. As for VoIP as in Video and Audio, I use Linphone on both windoze and GNU/Linux machines, without any problems.

For screen sharing, we have goddamn amount of solutions for that, VNC based or not. I don't see damn reason why it need to be bundled in one program, just to pretend being clone of Skype

2. Can send and receive files at the same time;
See above.

3. Has a Windows**), Linux and Maemo client;
Well, Linphone mentioned earlier doesn't have Maemo client, but SIP isn't some sh||tty proprietary dubious protocol, so you can call contacts with whatever other client you feel fancy... In fact, you can have three different clients for all machines, and it works all the same. BTW, SIP on N900 is supported since vanilla, including integration with addressbook, phone-ui, etc.

4. Has a UI that does not look like a 14 year old student's homework;
Subjective. I don't have any problems with using any SIP client that have a) dialpad b) addressbook c) decent setting allowing me to set up everything I may need (my SIP proxies, STUN server, etc), can't speak for others.

5. Is ideally peer-to-peer, without a central server
SIP is always peer-to-peer. BTW, this point *doesn't* apply to Skype, to be honest...

...and I will switch in a jiffy and become an evangelist sprrading the good word to everyone I know.
Good luck!

And for what? Because Skype does not work on my phone? An archaic phone with an obscure OS that no one has heard of? Get real. Use your PC or get a proper phone, would be the obvious answer.
No - because Skype is, with high probability, a well-coded spyware. It was proven to send things like user's motherboard serial numbers to centralized server without informing about it, it is coded in a way that prevent checkign what it's really doing by *any* means (cleverly written, but that's hardly positive in that case) [1], and it's creator was already proven to include worst spyware in his programs (first kazaa). No surprise, that with Skype, it was ensured that no one will be able to determine what is happening inside.[1]

Also, because it is proven to be goddamned resource and network usage hog, by design (twice as much, if you happen to be marked as supernode by Skype, which of course, you don't have control over).

/Estel

[1] https://www.blackhat.com/presentatio...-biondi-up.pdf
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-08-10 at 11:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Does it really need to be one application for two such completely different tasks?
It's called usability, Estel. Something that many open-source products lack. Which is the main reason why most people do not use them. You and I may care about function and not care about form, but please wake up. Form is important. Why do you think so many sheeple flock to overpriced Apple products?

BTW, IM and video chat may seem "completely different" to you but for most people - including me - they are just different forms of chat. So it makes sense to bundle them in the same application. Much more so than bundling playing MP3s and videos in one Media Player, or a news reader into an email client, for the matter.

Here are just a few real-life use cases from the recent past. All of them start with, "I am in an IM chat and suddenly..."
  • My 4 years old walks into the room and asks, "What are you doing, daddy?". "I am talking to your auntie in Italy." "Can I see her?"
    It's so much easier to click one button and turn on video than asking the other party to start another application they may not even have.
  • The other party asks me how to do XYZ. (S)he is not a computer geek and needs showing. So I go, "click this button and I will share my screen with you and show you."
    Oh the number of times I tried setting up X11 screen sharing through SSH on my N900 and failed... and I am a geek. I cannot expect my sister faffing around with VNC, that would be way above her head.

SIP is always peer-to-peer. BTW, this point *doesn't* apply to Skype, to be honest...
Yes, I know. But, as you have correctly observed, by covering points 1-4 the mysterious client X merely becomes a second Skype. They are not enough an argument to switch: "What's the point, Skype does all that, why should I bother?". You need some unique selling point.

Skype is, with high probability, a well-coded spyware. It was proven to send things like user's motherboard serial numbers to centralized server without informing about it
Again, I know. And I even care to some extent. But most people don't even know what a motherboard is. And when you explain it to them, they go, so what? And I must say that at this point, I myself start struggling. I may not like it, but neither can I find any convincing arguments why the average user should care.

So yes, Skype no longer working on my phone is a big deal. Not the end of the world but a major inconvenience.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-08-10 at 14:23.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
With the 8.1 cyan update, a tap away to convert an incoming cell call to skype internet call on lumia phone is a wonderful feature on lumia.

Microsoft now have pureview, skype and here maps, what else should I need on a phone?

All it takes is SWIPE ui/ux? Maybe

to maintain skype calls to others, you could use ippi's sip to skype gateway, just have to change usernames slightly to use @skype.ippi.fr iirc. receiving skype via sip is a little harder as they have to connect to a skype2ippi user and then enter your ippi username in chat.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
[*]My 4 years old walks into the room and asks, "What are you doing, daddy?". "I am talking to your auntie in Italy." "Can I see her?"
It's so much easier to click one button and turn on video than asking the other party to start another application they may not even have.
As for text messages/video/audio calls, they're all "bundled" in SIP. Hoever, text messages may not work with all SIP proxies (aka 'providers'). From free SIP proxies (that even give you free PST number) where text messages works, I could recommend sip.antisip.com.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you set own your own PBX at @home - then, whatever you want, will be working.

[*]The other party asks me how to do XYZ. (S)he is not a computer geek and needs showing. So I go, "click this button and I will share my screen with you and show you."
Oh the number of times I tried setting up X11 screen sharing through SSH on my N900 and failed... and I am a geek. I cannot expect my sister faffing around with VNC, that would be way above her head.
For noob-friendly desktop sharing on windoze, windows built-in RDP desktop sharing should be good enough. There is client for connecting to RDP desktop for Maemo, too.

Now, I understand the convenience of sharing desktop by "one click", but I also consider this a hell of security risk, especially, if build into application that is obfuscated as hell and no one knows what it is really doing.

Again, I know. And I even care to some extent. But most people don't even know what a motherboard is. And when you explain it to them, they go, so what?
They have collected data illegally, without informing users. Motherboard thing was just incident that leaked, they could collect, as well, literally everything from victim's PC.

If that isn't good enough argument, then it boils down to using any_random_software that is harmful, just because everyone else is doing so, and my heoroine (as in drugs) example apply.

So yes, Skype no longer working on my phone is a big deal. Not the end of the world but a major inconvenience.
Understanding and respecting.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Maemo version is still working for me as of right now (for logging in and sending IMs/group chat at least, I dont use it for voice stuff)

And yes, like others in this thread, not having Skype on my phone anymore will be annoying (its much easier to leave my N900 on than it is to leave a full windows PC running all night so I can pick up messages/chat sent to me) Oh and no convincing the other users of this group chat to switch protocols isn't an option.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Hungary
Symbian S60v3 client woks too.

My N900 needs an LCD ...

I cant find anywhere info on the fact that the support would be discontinued for Nokia N-series phones, so it might be that N900 and N9 might survive the axe this time. Only WP7 and symbian are singled out by skypes official pages, and nothing is seen on the support page about discontinuation for N-series phones. The symbian support pages has the information about the support ending as does the WP7, but N-series does not. Keeping fingers crossed.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by quailstorm View Post
Symbian S60v3 client woks too.

My N900 needs an LCD ...
?? i got a mail from microsoft that symbian got axed
n900 still works though

Tags
fvck skype, imstillstanding, skypocalypse, spype