Posts: 15 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Two extensive hands-on previews on N900 proto devices! Overall very positive, but let's wait for the release for answers.

Lot's of photos, with nice comparison to E90 and other phones and interesting trivia about the history of Hildon
http://my-symbian.com/other/preview_n900.php
Huge amount of work, thank you so much Michal!

Eldar's properly translated preview (original discussed in this thread), no translated conclusion as of yet (29.9.)
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...aemo5-en.shtml
Thank you Eldar! (But next time do mention it being a preview of a proto device. )

ps. As an example, Michal states a major issue being "storage memory for installable applications limited to ridiculous 256 MB, all the remaining gigabytes available for documents and data files only" whereas Eldar says "The N900 has 2Gb reserved for user applications (as opposed to 90Mb in earlier firmware versions)." So these are prototype devices and there are a lot of details not to be worried about too much at this point without contrary evidence.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to PetriS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
It's really disturbing if Nokia keeps installed applications to a max of 256mb

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
It's really disturbing if Nokia keeps installed applications to a max of 256mb
Check out the /opt discussions. This isn't -that- big a problem.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Great review from Michal (as always) :-)

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The My-Symbian review is great! (Save for the few tech details he gets wrong).

I am now in "want-device" mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Quoth the Jerz:

Lauch X Terminal, enable root access, and do whatever you want, just like on a Linux desktop. Possibilities include, but are not limited to, enabling USB host mode
stooooop teeeasing uuuuus!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PetriS View Post
ps. As an example, Michal states a major issue being "storage memory for installable applications limited to ridiculous 256 MB, all the remaining gigabytes available for documents and data files only" whereas Eldar says "The N900 has 2Gb reserved for user applications (as opposed to 90Mb in earlier firmware versions)." So these are prototype devices and there are a lot of details not to be worried about too much at this point without contrary evidence.
In a video with Jussi and others, they addressed this issue... you can find the video and a text summary here

In short they mention the following:
"44:50 Gerry: Internal memory is only 65MB of free. [That’s something the community has noticed as well, Nokia have responded to. There’s a thread on the mailing list where the lower level architecture design guys like myself who are professional software engineers as their day job, are collaborating with Nokia in a very open way to find a solution to this. There is going to be a solution, along the lines of installing to mem card as N800 but out of the box. We’re just discussing where the work happens. Is it with community packaging applications or do we try with Nokia and get a solution that will make community’s life easier….in terms for end user experience, there will be at least 1GB."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bheetebrij For This Useful Post:
What worries me as well is the fact that he says the screen is very sensitive to scratches...

Jerz:
"The only thing that worries me when it comes to N900 display is its resistence to scratches and other damages. And it seems to be quite poor. I got the device without any protective case and the display got some awful scratches in just one day, and that's only because some sand grains got into the pocket I kept it in. So a good screen protector or soft carrying case seem to be a must. OK, now..."

What brand screen protectors work well while not affecting screen clarity and sensitivity? I am complete newby in this...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The only thing that worries me when it comes to N900 display is its resistence to scratches and other damages. And it seems to be quite poor. I got the device without any protective case and the display got some awful scratches in just one day, and that's only because some sand grains got into the pocket I kept it in. So a good screen protector or soft carrying case seem to be a must.

very bad.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
from the first link:
What's not:
-Nokia, PLEASE, add voice dialing!
What does this even mean ? I though N900 support normal calls and also voip.