Following the extension guide as best I could, here's Adblock Plus.

It installs (tested via dpkg -i as I assume it won't work in application manager) and creates an Adblock plugin entry. I don't have N800-compatible web access here, so I can't test it personally.

The extension conversion process looks painless, but I can't figure out how to get extension UIs up...
Attached Files
File Type: deb adblockplus-webaddon_0.0.1-1ubuntu1_armel.deb (229.2 KB, 248 views)

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Many thanks, aleksandyr!

Report: Downloads and installs fine using "dpkg -i" However, ads still show (e.g., on the ITT home page). I presume this is because the advertisement database is empty. I can't seem to find where to adblock an advertisement, either. Or how to populate the database any other way.

-F

It installs just fine, and shows up in the plugins menu, but ads are still showing. I think it needs a list to tell it which ads not to show. maybe porting Adblock Filterset.G Updater will do the trick.

Also I just want to say Thank You for doing this.

I believe the new browser does not support XUL for performance reasons. Among other things, this makes it impossible for extensions to modify the browser UI. This may make it impossible for things like plugin settings windows. Assuming the plugin doesn't require any user interaction after initial setup to do its thing, you might be about to edit any extension setup variable in a text editor.

As an aside, the plugin that I would kill for (but which I doubt would work) is flashblock. Currently, a lot of flash crashes the browser, using the new flash 9 plugin. Browsing the web with flash turned on atm is like playing russian rouletete. There needs to be some facility for selectively whitelist sites.

True, but even without XUL, it's probably possible to copy a working Adblock configuration in and get ad blocking.

Once I can actually -test- this, I intend to play with it and get it working --- I could not resist posting a teaser, though

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Excellent work Aleksandyr! Any chance of packaging Flashblock?

Sure. I'll rig it up momentarily --- I've automated the process abit.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As an aside, the plugin that I would kill for (but which I doubt would work) is flashblock. Currently, a lot of flash crashes the browser, using the new flash 9 plugin. Browsing the web with flash turned on atm is like playing russian rouletete. There needs to be some facility for selectively whitelist sites.
Weird, I've yet to see a single crash with flash always on in microb or Opera.

Try going to escapepod.org, wait for it to completely load and then try scrolling down so that the flash embedded object comes into view. Instant browser poof accompanied by error message. Turn off flash plugin, go to same site and it loads and works fine without issue. I have found a number of other sites where this behaviour is reproduce able for me 100% of the time.

Please try this for yourself and report back.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Excellent work Aleksandyr! Any chance of packaging Flashblock?
If Flashblock is for blocking Flash, why don't you just disable it in the plug-in section of the browser?
Or am i saying something stupid now?

Ton.