Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by konsiderulo View Post
Hi guys!

I still use an N82 and waited quite a bit for a worthy successor. The Iphone does some things really great but since the majority of people don't care for multitasking, openness or high resolution, apple does neither. Android seems way cooler in most respects but I won't wait another year for an Android device with decent specs. Now along comes Nokia, finally abandoning their Symbian-only phones stubornness. It's still unclear to me whether or not the N900 will feature an electronic compass which is mandatory for augmented reality. I guess AR will become a bigger topic in the near future - at least for wow-effect if not for practical value. Obviously a bunch of other potential buyers are anxiously awaiting an official confirmation. I could live without capacitive display and fm-receiving functionality and hope for prosperous application development/adaptation from linux but I could not justify shelling out 600 euros knowing that AR won't happen on the N900.

Cool forum, anyway! If i finally opt for the N900 and if studying computer science (which I just enrolled in) will help me with the geekier possibilites the device offers, I look forward to spend some time in this forum.
Welcome, Konsiderulo, interesting thoughts on AR.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Hello!

I am interested in joining the Maemo community, but there are some confusions holding me back. I don't want to cross post, so here's the link to the post I made earlier http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...0&goto=newpost

In any case, looking forward to more action!

Hi. I'm Hook from Brighthand. Former Palm user, now with a Nokia 5800 and am quite interested in the N900. I'm not sure what time frame my budget will let me get one, so I figured I'd start lurking over here and learn as much as I can in the meantime. I'm in no hurry. I love my 5800.

I'm PDA/pocket computer centric in my approach. My 5800 has a gophone SIM in it and for $5 a month i can use 3G if I need it, but I rarely do (maybe 1-2 Mb a month), the rest is wifi.

So I will be mostly quiet at first while I pick things up and will hold off posting questions until I understand enough to know what to ask.

Cheers to you all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hook For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by klingon86 View Post
Hello!

I am interested in joining the Maemo community, but there are some confusions holding me back. I don't want to cross post, so here's the link to the post I made earlier http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...0&goto=newpost

In any case, looking forward to more action!
Actually, you're a member NOW. Welcome!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by konsiderulo View Post
Hi guys!

I still use an N82 and waited quite a bit for a worthy successor. The Iphone does some things really great but since the majority of people don't care for multitasking, openness or high resolution, apple does neither. Android seems way cooler in most respects but I won't wait another year for an Android device with decent specs. Now along comes Nokia, finally abandoning their Symbian-only phones stubornness. It's still unclear to me whether or not the N900 will feature an electronic compass which is mandatory for augmented reality. I guess AR will become a bigger topic in the near future - at least for wow-effect if not for practical value. Obviously a bunch of other potential buyers are anxiously awaiting an official confirmation. I could live without capacitive display and fm-receiving functionality and hope for prosperous application development/adaptation from linux but I could not justify shelling out 600 euros knowing that AR won't happen on the N900.

Cool forum, anyway! If i finally opt for the N900 and if studying computer science (which I just enrolled in) will help me with the geekier possibilites the device offers, I look forward to spend some time in this forum.
The n900 is confirmed to have fm radio receiver. Nokia generally includes that as an stand alone app after the device is released. I dont know why they chose to do that but from past experience i am pretty sure that they will release the fm radio upp very soon. I hope that is the same case for digital compass.... but no one has confirmed that yet.

Hey all. I've had an n810 for nearly a year now and i LOVE it. This is the first time i've posted anything at the fourm, but I have used these pages alot over the last few months. The Maemo community is awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to wakeboard115 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by wakeboard115 View Post
Hey all. I've had an n810 for nearly a year now and i LOVE it. This is the first time i've posted anything at the fourm, but I have used these pages alot over the last few months. The Maemo community is awesome!
Welcome, wakeboard!

Hi guys,
I've registered today. I'm french too "bonjour le monde" (sorry for my english mistakes ).

I've got a N800 looking forward for buying a N810. I've got my N800 for about 2 years may be. I've lost interest in it (went back to a plam lifedrive <3) untill recently when I learnt how to reduce battery consumption (thanks to this forum). For now I'm tweaking it to make it the best personnal geek assistant .
So that it.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Well, not my first post here, but hello anyways =)

I, too, have an N82 and I love it, but I guess the time has come to say goodbye. Already drooling for the Rover.

Now, the only thing you can expect me to contribute to the community is constant whining about f***ed up features, but at leat I
'll try to make it as constructive as possible

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Hey. I've been here a short while, but I'm Chris McFann, aka christexaport, Senior Editor at Symbian Freak. I love mobiles, and am interested in the Maemo 5 software ecosystem. I've never had a NIT, but look forward to my first this fall.

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org