Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I picked up a second hand N900 recently and one thing has been troubling me with it.

Most of the time the touch screen does not respond unless the keyboard is open. Very occasionally it'll work properly closed from a reboot.

It works 100% of the time with the keyboard open. I've reflashed it so I don't think it's software. Is there a connector or switch/sensor that determines if the keyboard is slid out or not that could be affecting the touch screen?

Sounds like a ribbon cable fault.
Probably only making intermittent contact when the screen is closed.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I was talking to someone else with an n900 on twitter. They had a similar problem and this works for both of us.

When closing the screen, press on left side of the screen, below the speaker. I presume there's some leaf connector behind there that drifts loose when closed but presses back when open?

Yeah sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. It might be possible to fix it by pushing the ribbon connector home, but it involves dismantling the phone, obviously.

Nokia N900 Disassembly

My N900's touchscreen is not responding at all. At first only the bottom right corner had problems that I could fix by recalibrating, then I needed to reboot, now rebooting doesn't seem to help either.

Do I need to replace the digitizer, or should I check the ribbon connector?

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
If you have a screen protector check that first.

It could be the ribbon connector, here's a guide for replacement.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...71#post1324171

It could equally be the digitizer.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: