Active Topics

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
i asked this question becoz my 1st smartphone was n*kia n900 and now i dont use it all, so i am left with sailfish and android .

i know android but very little about sailfish and things that u dont understand or you are strange to you either fear or you keep distance from that.
infact sailfish is cool but jolla could make it way more cooler.
And after using andr*id for a month i think i will give andr*id more priority over sailfish, boring but gets the work done. it doesnot mean i will kick sailfish out but i will use it as a sidekick.

moral of the story: internet security is a myth

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
moral of the story: internet security is a myth
Again, it depends on the definitions; "internet security" is very well achievable; it is mostly based on what is your "internet"

My definition of internet is the hosts reachable via routable IP protocol family. It is pretty easy to arrange the routing so that the originating host is hidden from both the target host and any given intermediate host. (that's called onion routing, btw )

On the other hand, if your definition of internet is connection to some service that you need to authenticate to use, then of course there is no way you can remain anonymous. (this encompasses almost all social media or messenger-type applications)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Again, it depends on the definitions; "internet security" is very well achievable; it is mostly based on what is your "internet"

My definition of internet is the hosts reachable via routable IP protocol family. It is pretty easy to arrange the routing so that the originating host is hidden from both the target host and any given intermediate host. (that's called onion routing, btw )

On the other hand, if your definition of internet is connection to some service that you need to authenticate to use, then of course there is no way you can remain anonymous. (this encompasses almost all social media or messenger-type applications)
Care to point out a device that does this today? (First part)

Because to me, Internet Security means that my own device does not also report out on my usage without my knowledge. And I mean before adding social media, email... you know, stuff that people use the Internet for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Care to point out a device that does this today? (First part)

Because to me, Internet Security means that my own device does not also report out on my usage without my knowledge. And I mean before adding social media, email... you know, stuff that people use the Internet for.
Maybe you think that I am too trusting then as I consider my computers secure devices by default?
Sure, in theory it is possible that hardware is compromised on a level undetectable to my OS but I just have to trust that my use of varying HW helps to protect against that; if there would be malicious dataleaks in some device I would have noiticed the traffic from other devices.

It's not about being too trusting. I am actually asking about hardware and software you'd trust. I don't even trust the GSM baseband to be honest. But if you know more than I (easily doable) I'm curious.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

Well internet security is achievable only if u use special linux os Something like TAILS forked from debian, not sure about vpn or tor ( onion routing). Using tor doesn't mean u r totally secure, when the connection comes out of tor network it is an unencrypted thing that connects to the destination (server). And i have read that government can peel the Onion layers if they want.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's not about being too trusting. I am actually asking about hardware and software you'd trust. I don't even trust the GSM baseband to be honest. But if you know more than I (easily doable) I'm curious.
You are correct there; the modern tendency on the integrated SoC with baseband processor having DMA access to the OM memory space is bad, and made worse that it actually requires the OM to run part of the BB code (which of course is totally closed)
To make matters worse the SoC IP vendors are not the most trustworthy companies out there; the most successful is an offsoot of the US military and the rest are Chinese; your call on which you'd like to place your trust on!

This can be amended by having the network-related parts in totally different HW; like in a laptop you have the 4G modem separate from the computer in an USB dongle. Also some tablets do have separate the internal modem but for phones, I know of only one design that is following this pattern and as we all know it is making very slow progress at the moment

In any case, the mobile networks can of course track and identify you because that is how the network is supposed to work. You can only try to use encryption on all traffic you send through the networks, you cannot hide that you are communicating.

As for trust; yes I do trust my computers which don't have integrated-baseband modems in them; because I have a *lots* of computers, and they are pretty old
It is possible that every possible piece of HW in the world is compromised byt I find that scenario unlikely. There are lots of people around looking at these things and they would be noticed.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Well internet security is achievable only if u use special linux os Something like TAILS forked from debian, not sure about vpn or tor ( onion routing). Using tor doesn't mean u r totally secure, when the connection comes out of tor network it is an unencrypted thing that connects to the destination (server). And i have read that government can peel the Onion layers if they want.
TAILS is good solution but it is of course not the only one. What's good about TAILS is that it is put together such way that also people who don't understand security can use it pretty effectively (except when they of course do the shitstupid thing and use it to connect to their favourite social media feeds)

As it happens, Tor is very secure and cannot be currently peeled; there are too many exit nodes for any one government to cover. All the cases where Tor users have been tracked/busted/identified are due to information leaked via side channels.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
i am finding android to be usable now (using extended aosp 7.1.1, redmi 2 prime) and my experience with android is pretty much ok but it was worse back in the day.
i take my words back, sorry folks, android is not for me.

i take my words back, sorry folks, android is not for me.
Any particular reason or reasons?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy