Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
So the Nokia 1GHz featurefone was true.

Its sad that its a 999MHz ARM11 CPU = ~600MHz ARM Cortex A8 CPU.
GPU is same as with N8's so it's on-par with SGX535 (iPhone 3GS).
It's run on a limited 256MB RAM, stored on a 512MB NAND.
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...fications/500/

All-in-all, its about as powerful as the Motorola Droid or (stock) Nokia N900 ... so this "smartphone" is ONLY one year and 10 months late!

Everyone check out the various advertisements on YouTube (from yesterday) about the Nokia 500:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75383&page=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YJdCO-F9Bc
It's more like a 750/800mhz A8. Plust the BCM2727 is faster than SGX535 (3gs, 4, ipad), there was a comparison, to lazy to search for it. SGX535 is as powerful as a SGX530. Same polygon count, just higher fillrate for higher resolutions like the ipad and iphone 4.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i can see the push towards Qt now more then previously. If the new feature phones, which are more affordable for those in less developed countries and for those who have a tight budget for such things, pushs the download games and applications based on Qt and gives the Ui a unified and modern look and feel to it like with the n9 and the new symbian ui changes, i think it will open a massive market for developers as we know nokia sell millions of feature phones. i like the idea of having a game made on 1 platform being available on multiple ones without full rewrites. i like the idea that people who can't afford a smartphone don't have to miss out on things. we all seem consumed with must have the best in everything and be a smartphone to make money etc. but i don't see any major push's to unlock the potential of the feature phone market. There's more feature phone users then smartphone users. i've noticed the trend in the last few years of growth in nokia's life tools and i like it.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
nokia problem isnt low end.

but high end.

sadly wp7 wont fix that.
They have plenty of problems in the low end as well. Cheap Android models have eaten lot of Nokia's sales. This might help to stop the bleeding on lower price points, maybe.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Kangal, you are showing your ignorance, and this is the wrong thread. The 500 is running Symbian Anna. It has nothing to do with the 1 GHz S40 coming.

Crash course in Nokia Technology:
S40 = Feature phone platform on top of Nokia OS.
Symbian = Smartphone OS (Once it ruled the world of smartphones >50% market share).

So everybody, this is why it is impossible to have a decent debate around here. Way too much ignorance.
Says the "bada rox" guy!

I know S40 =/= Symbian.
But remember the 1GHz S40 was a RUMOUR and sometimes rumours tend to be true but inaccurate, which is why I made the post.

If you couldn't see that, I guess your as ignorant as me.
Which is why its impossible to reason here sometimes *rollseyes*

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
It's more like a 750/800mhz A8. Plust the BCM2727 is faster than SGX535 (3gs, 4, ipad), there was a comparison, to lazy to search for it. SGX535 is as powerful as a SGX530. Same polygon count, just higher fillrate for higher resolutions like the ipad and iphone 4.
What?!
I beg to differ.

I know because I can make the comparison between a 500MHz Motorola Milestone and a 770MHz Motorola DEXT both running CM7.
Guess what, the Cortex A8 is much more effecient, and runs faster.

Without any tricks, here's the Quadrant results:
DEXT @770MHz: ~410
Milestone @500MHz: ~465
Milestone @770MHz: ~790
Milestone @1.2GHz: ~1,450

I remember seeing the Nokia N8 vs the iPhone 3GS benchmarked for OGLES1.1 and 2.0 somewhere and the iPhone 3GS won every category but by a small margin, which is why I said that gpu wise it would be equivalent to the i3GS. But this is assuming it has the same Broadcomm gpu as the N8, others are listing that it is missing a gpu all-together (strange for Symbian smartphones).

Feel free to find those sources/evidence and correct any misinformation I may have provided.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
What?!

I remember seeing the Nokia N8 vs the iPhone 3GS benchmarked for OGLES1.1 and 2.0 somewhere and the iPhone 3GS won every category but by a small margin, which is why I said that gpu wise it would be equivalent to the i3GS. But this is assuming it has the same Broadcomm gpu as the N8, others are listing that it is missing a gpu all-together (strange for Symbian smartphones).

Feel free to find those sources/evidence and correct any misinformation I may have provided.

here

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
The speed of the GPU in the N8 and other Symbian phones isn't the problem. video memory is.
The GPU in the N8 only has 32MB of memory, and 9MB is used by the default GUI of the phone. When writing games this is a HUGE problem!
The PowerVR core uses shared memory of the RAM.

The GPU in the N8 is designed for quick manipulation of video streams from a camera module, not really for games, otherwise it would have a lot more memory.

Also the graphic memory manager (GOOM) in Symbian is very simple. On most os-es a lot of swapping between video and ram is done automatically (causing severe slowdown when you use too much video memory). On Symbian you need to use the GOOM otherwise your application crashes when you uses too much video memory.

I would very prefer the PowerVR in N900 or iPhone 3GS to the Broadcom GPU in the N8.

Current OpenGl support in Symbian^3 devices is challenging, but you can make some good looking simple games. Without opengl there is no way you can make games that look as good as on iPhone.

No opengl in new Symbian devices is probably the nail in the coffin of Symbian application development. Games are a VERY big part of the apps market. Most mobile games are moving to OpenGL and Symbian will be left out.
But it probably isn't that surprising, Qt OpenGL support is not finished (Qt3D modules are being developed, but not available yet), and Windows phone does not support OpenGL, so Nokia probably does not have much incentive to stimulate OpenGL mobile development on their mobile platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post

here
The N8 has a x1.5 more pixels (display resolution) than the i3GS, so it is at a x1.5 disadvantage. Which means naturally if they are about the same performance then i3GS should have 35.2fps for OGLES2.0 benchmark.
We don't see that, which suggests the Broadcomm is a faster chip.

The second image shows the N8 vs i3GS gpu performance in more detail. In OGLES1.1 "performance" N8 wins with a x2 performance.

However, in all texture benchmarks, the N8 loses in every category. This displays something eerie, which has been explained by Bernard = a bottleneck on the faster Broadcomm chip is imminent!

Frankly, I'd prefer the SGX535 or even the SGX530 over the broadcomm chip, because the space limitation of the broadcomm cannot be resolved unlike the speed disadvantage of the sgx's.... yes they can be overclocked to match.

eg/ The difference between the SGX540 in the Samsung Hummingbird S5PC110 and the TI OMAP 4440 is about two-folds because TI implemented a higher clock rate (200MHz vs 384MHz), uses updated drivers from PowerVr, and possibly tweeked the layout to milk for all its worth (multimedia hardware accelerators, dual-channel memory controller, media processing engine etc).

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
But remember the 1GHz S40 was a RUMOUR and sometimes rumours tend to be true but inaccurate, which is why I made the post.
Rumor confirmed:http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-500
EDIT:Almost confirmed.
EDIT: Also you will notice in the below bar: similar products:C6-01, C7 and N8.You could guess what it does mean.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-08-10 at 12:22.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Says the "bada rox" guy!

I know S40 =/= Symbian.

If you couldn't see that, I guess your as ignorant as me.
Which is why its impossible to reason here sometimes *rollseyes*
Ignorant and lazy. Look at the original link in the first post.

Tags
bada cocks, bada gay, s40 rox, where?