Notices

Originally Posted by timoph View Post
For example some people may prefer the Fennec UI instead of Micro B UI.
Yes, I'd love for them to be as similar under the hood as possible. But last time I checked Fennec (admittedly an alpha build), I loved the double-tap to zoom. However, from a video I saw, it looked like this feature has been integrated into MicroB for the N900. I didn't like Fennec's lack of a scroll bar (what about long web pages?). So based on this, I'd vote for some UI choice.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
OK....I'm a dumbass....somebody please put me out of my misery and kindly explain WTF "optify" means? Contextually I kinda get it, but is there a proper definition? Is it a portmanteau of "optimize" and something?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
OK....I'm a dumbass....somebody please put me out of my misery and kindly explain WTF "optify" means? Contextually I kinda get it, but is there a proper definition? Is it a portmanteau of "optimize" and something?
It comes from the package maemo-optify and it describes the process by which packages are setup to install onto the 32GB eMMC.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
isn't it the hack to make more space available to install applications? so that applications install in the "opt" folder?
edit: arrived late

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It comes from the package maemo-optify and it describes the process by which packages are setup to install onto the 32GB eMMC.
Thank you. That jargon was driving me mad

So [by using the maemo-optify tool] the "optification" process is where packages are made to be considerate and install on the 1Gb (or whatever size it is) /opt (->/home/opt) ext3 partition....correct?

Anyone try installing this with the sdk?

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
If you're referring to the armel binary for the SDK's FREMANTLE_ARMEL target, I wouldn't bother, and here's the reason:

How Can I Avoid "Qemu" Error Messages Of "Af-Sb-Init Start" In ARMEL Target?

From the article:

The ARMEL target should not be used for application testing and just for cross compiling.
But here's a snapshot of the i386 version running inside the SDK's FREMANTLE_X86 target:

Name:  fennec.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  21.2 KB

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
(you would prefer me to do some yodelling instead, right?)
Lightning talk at next Summit, please.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Yes, I have (on x86-64) build it with SDK. It is quite easy.

Instructions are here

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Buil...d_Instructions
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Build/Fennec
https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Pjohnsen/MozillaQtBuild

Follow the 2nd URL and instead build it for x86-32. When 2nd URL does not work, stick to the first. The third is meant rather for informative purpose, that its possible to get working Mozilla with Qt instead of GTK.

My only issue is that one of the fonts is seriously ****ed up, it reminds me of Netscape 4. And using trackpoint to scroll ofcourse sucks. Maybe I should enable my touchpad.

How is fennec performance on the n900 vs n810? It's kinda sluggish on the n810, and because of that, it ends up scrolling out into the "work areas" (for lack of a better word; the tabs, address bar, etc.) accidentally.

Tags
browser, mozilla