Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by rasteroid View Post
this is what i'm using currently; pass it the path to the source file.
Very nice script! I'm a little confused about the encoding options, though:

Originally Posted by rasteroid View Post
ENCODE="-s 720x480 -aspect 16:9 -b 1024k -bt 512k"
You've got the aspect ratio set to 16:9, but have the frame size set to 720x480 (a 3:2 ratio)? I've never used ffmpeg, so I don't really know quite what that means as to the final video size.

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ indonesia
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
My current version of Handbrake (0.9.5) is pretty good about providing info on every available encoding option, I get a fairly detailed tooltip by just hovering the mouse above each option. But in short, once you've picked H.264 as your video codec on the "Video" tab, the way to make it a baseline profile is to switch to the "Advanced" tab, and make sure "Maximum B-Frames" are set to 0 and "CABAC Entropy Coding", "8x8 Transform", and "Weighted P-Frames" are all switched off. That should do it for you.

And yeah, I'll say it again -- playing 720p video on a cell phone is a waste of CPU cycles. Drop the resolution to the machine's native screen size, and use the savings in pixel count to increase the bitrate instead! (Although if you're starting from a heavily compressed video to begin with, I suppose that doesn't really matter.)

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem much advantage to choosing the mkv container over the mp4 one for the Nokia phones. At least on my N900, the default Media Player doesn't seem to support alternate audio tracks or any sort of subtitles. Without that, most of the advantages of using the Matroska container are lost...
loool. my handbrake never ever reach 100% even i wait it for 2hiurs and more on windows 7 64 bit.
funny is it.
other converter never wait for 1hour
Triple Booting : maemo, power kernel 47, nitdroid umay 2,3,4

make ur desktop look awesome use symbian-anna-icons and harmattan icon pack

thanx button if u wanna say thanx dont use reply to save space loo

Originally Posted by cloud596 View Post
my handbrake never ever reach 100% even i wait it for 2hiurs and more on windows 7 64 bit.
Is your machine perhaps limited in RAM, or running other applications? Handbrake is one of the fancier, more powerful converters out there, and as such makes a lot of demands on a computer.

In my experience, if I avoid Handbrake's more agressive compression settings, I can re-encode a half-hour anime to fit my N900 in roughly 15 minutes. This is on a Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of RAM.

Try using Freemake Video converter. Very easy, very clean, very nice. Windows only.

Use a converter called Super, for more power.

The Following User Says Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
I'm using adobe media encoder and my output file is as follows:
NTSC, 854x480, 29.97 fps, Progressive
AAC, 192 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
CBR, 6.00Mbps

I've selected Baseline profile for the encoding. I am aware that 6.00Mbps bitrate is very high for playback, (1 hour of video is estimated at 2.9Gb!). So the thing is, what is a reasonable bitrate setting for the n9 stock player (or preferably ovp)? Also, is there a maximum bitrate setting that the n9 can handle?

thanks

Originally Posted by spectrax0x View Post
I'm using adobe media encoder and my output file is as follows:
NTSC, 854x480, 29.97 fps, Progressive
AAC, 192 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
CBR, 6.00Mbps

I've selected Baseline profile for the encoding. I am aware that 6.00Mbps bitrate is very high for playback, (1 hour of video is estimated at 2.9Gb!). So the thing is, what is a reasonable bitrate setting for the n9 stock player (or preferably ovp)? Also, is there a maximum bitrate setting that the n9 can handle?

thanks
Wouldn't it be smarter to lower the bitrate? I mean, since the new resolution is no longer 720p and the display is so small, I don't think that it will look bad on the N9 with a bitrate of, for example, only 3 Mbps.

@marrat,

I already stated I am aware of the very high bitrate xD
So is 3Mbps reasonable? And more importantly, can the phone handle the bitrate?

stumbled upon this
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...2F_Nokia_N9-00

so i guess 4Mbps is maximum?

The Following User Says Thank You to spectrax0x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spectrax0x View Post
So the thing is, what is a reasonable bitrate setting for the n9 stock player (or preferably ovp)?
The real problem in answering this question is that video quality is a rather squishy concept. Certainly, a higher bitrate means less compression, and therefore less loss of data. But just what is "reasonable" is entirely dependent on the viewer (and in many cases on the video as well).

Myself, I'm an anime addict. A lot of my favorite shows are pulled directly out of the world of manga (Japanese comic books), and are therefore often drawn in a flat, 2D style, with many fairly static scenes. Thus, you can sometimes get away with a pretty horrible bitrate and still have a watchable show, because the video data can handle a great deal of compression.

In short, I'm afraid the real answer is that you'll have to experiment to find out what is best for you. Yes, the video quality will always degrade as you reduce the bitrate, but a certain amount of degradation may be acceptable (or even imperceptible) -- and that judgement is ultimately yours to make.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I use a max of 2Mbps for H264 Base profile at 854x480 resolution for my videos encoded for the N9. Anything more is not really noticeable for such a small screen IMO and uses extra space for nothing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post: