I want to sit on my couch and control a PC that's running windows XP across the room without having to get up and sit at that PC. I want the controlling device to be small and unobtrusive- not a big heavy, hot, laptop.

The 770 seems very close to what I have in mind- could it do it? Are there any Linux programs that could run on the 770 and act as if it were the XP remote desktop client? Does the XP home media edition (or whatever its called) support remote access?

Anybody out there know? If this was possible I'd buy the 770 in a heartbeat!!

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I've used VNC on many many occasions. I am sure some client/server arrangement can be reached.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Just install vnc server on your XP. Then download vnc client to your 770 and open a connection to your xp. You will then see the entire screen that is on your xp and you'll be able to use your stylus just as you'd use your mouse on normal computer.

Does the 770 + Wlan have enough performance for running VNC smoothly?

Originally Posted by varis
Does the 770 + Wlan have enough performance for running VNC smoothly?
Sure. No problems with running it.

vnc is usable on as little as ISDN speeds, and the wifi is much better than that

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Florida, USA
I have looked into what is required to develop a remote control device for Windows XP Media Center Edition. Unfortunately their APIs limit remote controls to IR only and only inside of Media Center. So without some sort of wifi->ir device such a connection wouldn't be possible as far as I know. I think there is going to be a remote viewer(actually watching/listening to content on another device) available whenever Vista comes out.

Originally Posted by unuselessj
I have looked into what is required to develop a remote control device for Windows XP Media Center Edition. Unfortunately their APIs limit remote controls to IR only and only inside of Media Center. So without some sort of wifi->ir device such a connection wouldn't be possible as far as I know. I think there is going to be a remote viewer(actually watching/listening to content on another device) available whenever Vista comes out.
If you use VNC, what you will see on 770 screen is exactly the same thing as you see on your media center screen. Thus you can use 770 pointer as a mouse. So, VNC is always a safe bet (even though it is not lightning fast yet).

Is there a way to have a virtual vnc screen? That way there could be a screen just for the 770.