Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Orange ... oh god ... please made their stupid things removable ... for example ... an nokia N70 ... with the orange firmware take 5 min to boot ... but ... with the original firmware ... it tooks 15s ...

THat just to load their stupid shortcut to their website ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andygee View Post
let them brand phones as long as we can reflash who cares it probably means your phone can be bought for a cheaper price.
But this is a contradiction. If more work goes into a product, it can't possibly be cheaper. The obvious answer is that they expect to be able to gouge you for something else in the future if they can lock you into their own services.

You may be thinking that it's ok as long as you're not one of those suckers, and can reflash your device, but this ignores network effects. If enough other people are locked into those services, you will suffer too. Just look at how Nokia still doesn't support Linux with PC Suite despite having Linux devices - the cost of upgrading the incompatible software is too great relative to the number of users (although I trust we will see something eventually).

So carriers trying to play anything other than dumb pipes is something that should be fought tooth and nail. Don't give them your money just because you know how to reflash!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This the first operator announcing plans for MeeGo and this is simply Good News.

If you like MeeGo but you don't like Orange then don't get a MeeGo device from Orange. Isn't that simple?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Orange is a UK network operator.
Just to clarify:

Orange = France Telecom (Owned by French Government still like EDF?)
O2 = now owned by Telia Sonera (the old Spannish incumbent)
t-mobile = Deutsche Telekom (old German incumbent)

Orange are all over Europe and I think North Africa - basically where the french have some influence still. Not sure about asia or s/america.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This the first operator announcing plans for MeeGo and this is simply Good News.

If you like MeeGo but you don't like Orange then don't get a MeeGo device from Orange. Isn't that simple?
Good point, but if, as in the past (and speaking from several years experience of orange) the orange branding adversely effects the user experience of the platform then that can hardly be a good thing for the platform..

Also, if meego comes to be seen as ''that thing that orange use to brand all their handsets'' that will hardly be good for the open source ethos either..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Oh noes. This is bad. I bought an orange-branded SE some years ago. They just removed some functionality (the music identifier app, whatever it was called) and screwed up the menu to easily get to extra-costing stuff (including / especially by mistake). No other improvement. The price doesn't get lower that much either
I hope nokia and the other guys in charge treat orange like the annoying idiot who constantly asks "watcha doin'??" when you're trying to get something done: be polite, but do not do what they say
just gonna point out that this was funny lol

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Just to clarify:

Orange = France Telecom (Owned by French Government still like EDF?)
O2 = now owned by Telia Sonera (the old Spannish incumbent)
t-mobile = Deutsche Telekom (old German incumbent)

Orange are all over Europe and I think North Africa - basically where the french have some influence still. Not sure about asia or s/america.
So they exported the brand name too - My sincere apologies to the peoples of these areas!

Originally Posted by qgil View Post

I thnk the problem here is that people are worried that Orange will start exerting too much influence over the platform. This particular operator has a history of distorting the market already so people's nerviousness is not unreasonable. Maybe some words of comfort regarding their involvement?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
From the Press Release, it looks like Orange is planning to bring in their 'Signature Services' like the Orange Maps and Orange TV.

I would read the PR as the first carrier getting on board MeeGo which is great news. I sure hope more will join soon.

Last edited by Reggie; 2010-03-03 at 15:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
From the Press Release, it looks like Orange is planning to bring in their 'Signature Services' like the Orange Maps and Orange TV.

I would read the PR as the first carrier getting on board MeeGo which is great news. I sure hope more will join soon.
Thaks for the link to the press release but I'm afraid that the language does nothing to soothe my nerves on this one and more to alarm me. Orange applications installed on MeeGo? Is this going to pushed at everyone regardless? If I pay for a device I don't want anything preinstalled. fair game if they do this on subsidised handsets but please keep this cr*[p away from the base operating system.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post: