Notices

Hello, I'm a longtime lurker with an n900 and I finally have a problem I can't find a solution for through searches. In fact, I should have asked much earlier, but I was hoping that someone make a 0.6 port and fix this.

Playing crawl through ssh, grayed-out text (disabled skills, unseen map tiles) is completely black and impossible to see. This does not happen on PC, and sadly it makes the game annoyingly tricky to play.

I'm pretty sure there are people here who know what the problem is about and maybe even how to solve it. I'm not describing any further as probably everyone who has played crawl through ssh knows what I'm talking about. (Correct me on this if my n900 turns out to be a unique snowflake) Help would be appreciated.

(Also, it's a damn shame the tiles version hasn't been ported yet. Is someone going to? The phone was my first linux experience, and although I'm making a lot of progress, this is beyond my abilities)

Hopefully I'm not making a mistake by starting a new thread, but I didn't see a fitting one for this post.

So, it seems that the easy debian terminal DOES show everything the way it should be, which makes, while the n900 xterm definitely doesn't. Running crawl.akrasiac.org on one produces different results from running it on the other.

Due to keyboard problems in easy debian, it would be nice if I got this all working outside it. It definitely can't be a hardware problem. Have I missed some kind of easy solution here? Anyway, I just don't understand what the problem is here.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Have you tried install the Bash shell? I do not know exactly what you are talking about here.. but the native terminal in n900 is a cut down from a "real" shell.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
AlMehdi, that's a completely different issue. The xterm (terminal) application is just a terminal emulator, the shell is another program, a command interpreter. It can be busybox (the default shell), bash or any other. The default user shell on N900 is busybox indeed, but you can also run bash.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I am curious if this is related to the 'dark grey' color being black in maemo xterm. This was a problem affecting older maemo versions.

To test, download 256colors2.pl test script and save somewhere on n900, e.g.

wget http://www.cs.rice.edu/~scrosby/soft.../256colors2.pl

then run

perl ./256colors2.pl

you should get a result like this

http://frexx.de/xterm-256-notes/img/256colors2.png

and not like this

http://inz.fi/blog/wp-content/upload...5-14-14-01.png

does this help?

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Thank you for making some sense out of this, I did that and what i see looks like the latter picture. (dark grey is black, two blacks all in all)

No idea how to fix that though.

The Following User Says Thank You to uncop For This Useful Post:
This is what I got on my Ubuntu 10.04 system:

And this is what I got on my terminal:

...so I guess that's bad, right? Is there a quick fix for that black color there?

The Following User Says Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
is there a fix for this?

I have the same problem with irssi because of this grey is black thing

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by poka64 View Post
is there a fix for this?

I have the same problem with irssi because of this grey is black thing
Qwerty12 was awesome enough to fix this for us older tablet users.

Word on the street is that he now has cooler things to do then mess around with this junk again for all of you new, spoiled richies.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Qwerty12 was awesome enough to fix this for us older tablet users.

Word on the street is that he now has cooler things to do then mess around with this junk again for all of you new, spoiled richies.
What is his fix? We can probably apply it to the N900 too.