Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
That is thanks to bulk discounts on the parts, and having production runs counted in the millions.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Well, yeah, but what's the point? There are other boards out there that are much cheaper and better..
The point of Opernmoko and its hardware is to have a fully open phone. All the source code is open and if you have the right equipment you can even build the hardware on your own (e.g. there are casing templates for 3D printers).
There is no other phone that has a truly open OS (Maemo is full of blobs) and even the Raspberry has a closed source graphics firmware.

Yes, but how many people REALLY care about playing with the GPU registers, rather than using OpenGL?
And I am not talking about: "Omfg not open source not good enough for me because its ghay". I am talking about: "I have a real need to program the GPU at a hardware level".

@Radu - what's your point? Yes, it's pricey, but they must have their reasons for pricing it this way. Let's see what the market will bear. Good for them on putting together the package. I'm sure it was a ton of work.