Active Topics

I would like to see:

-Opera 9 support (so more AJAX works like the eyeOS web based operating system)
-modern flash support
-embedded WMV support (using VLC or Mplayer for example) so I can watch www.uitzendinggemist.nl
-easier API for use in Python, and better documented. (like the S60 version with easy bluetooth, GPS and webcam/audio and UI api)
-WORKING hand writing recognition software
-the entire UI should be finger optimized (currently only a few items in the UI are optimized for finger usage)
-a better email program (even the email app for the current S60 phones is easier to use)
-easy SMS and phone /contact application
-and off course Skype (with video is possible), but that is coming
-a lightweight MSN messenger applet for the home screen. (Gaim is rather slow)
-Wimax support for the next internet tablet.
-scroll wheel in the next tablet (D-pad and on screen scroll bar suck)
-better D-pad and action buttons for playing emulators (GP2x functionality)

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Amen Bernard, I'm quite confused on how Nokia can call this a IT when they've all but handcuffed it with a limited browser/flash support let alone the video support online or offline.

I would like:
1. A true SIP client that connects to any server I want and does not go through any fixed proxy like gizmo does.
2. Better media player / internet radio app that plays ogg, wma, and he-aac, and doesn't corrupt the library when it feels like.

A true SIP client
Good one! I forgot that. I love the SIP client on my Nokia E60 phone, and use it alot.

I think the current N800 is a good Internet Tablet, even if the only thing it does well is browsing . (I think the Opera browser is good, but it could be better)

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rochester, NY
Oh i agree its a great device as is but it has limited support, and a small user base. Thats why i started this thread, with few community progammers, it's nice to get solid feedback on what should come next.

Am i alone in wanting a pim?

Maybe ,.. Just a thought, what if you could put symbian on this... There are lots of shineys for the nokia os that could run over blue tooth/wi-fi

tho honestly the linux with a terminal and ssh is pretty famn useful. I'd have a hard time giving it up.
t up.
t up.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Wolfman-K View Post
Oh i agree its a great device as is but it has limited support, and a small user base. Thats why i started this thread, with few community progammers, it's nice to get solid feedback on what should come next.

Am i alone in wanting a pim?

Maybe ,.. Just a thought, what if you could put symbian on this... There are lots of shineys for the nokia os that could run over blue tooth/wi-fi

tho honestly the linux with a terminal and ssh is pretty famn useful. I'd have a hard time giving it up.
t up.
t up.
If you want Symbian, buy a 7710 on eBay.

Of course, being obsolete Series 90, you won't get all that many applications for it...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
As long as we are wishing for stuff.

I would like to see someone create a new battery cover, that could hold a second battery and somehow jump the two batteries together for increased battery life. It would not be that hard, and at worst the thin part of the n800 would be as thick as the camera end. I could totaly live with that to double or more my battery life....

Applications!!

PIM, Word, Excel, Push E-Mail, Citrix.

Yeah - I know it is just a web tablet, but it could be a lot more with some development.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm still trying to figure out what's stopping the developer community from coming out with the desired apps.

Hmm.. various reasons, I guess.
PIM: There are already 3party apps, e.g. the GPE suite. Now, I don't use it because I don't find it good enough, in particular I find the calendar app wanting when compared to my Palm T3 calendar. So, for a lot of people the GPE set is fine, the GPE developers don't see any reason to add anything, and even though I could go ahead and code a bit in GPE myself I probably wouldn't get what I want - something as easy and good as the PalmOS equivalent. Too much work at this stage, and too few competent developers seeing the need (that would have to be a need seen by themselves, that's how it works)

Word: Well, 'Word' usually means MS Word, which won't happen. OpenOffice is too big, ABIWord is almost there, but this is still a complex piece of software. But I for one isn't going to start working on it, now that I got my bluetooth keyboard I'll be going in the direction of LaTeX which I find much more satisfying to write documentation in. 3party commercial Word-compatible app. could be a possibility, if the customer base gets big enough (Documents To Go, which comes bundled on PalmOS, is pretty good. Full office suite, including PP. It's considered better than what comes on Windows Mobile devices.)

Excel: There's Gnumeric. Reads and writes Excel format, and I like it much better than Excel anyway (I get things done.. it understands even my archaic recollection of spreadsheet commands)

Push E-Mail: This is more for phones, because as far as I know to get true 'push' (no latency) you need to utilize some management GSM/CMDA channel or something. With wi-fi you would either have to keep a TCP connection open at all times, or resort to 'pull', which is what I do: The built-in email app polls my imap server every ten minutes or so, this works for all practical purposes as 'Push email' for me.

Citrix: This is some framework to log in to the MS world, right? Commercial application, anyway. The community can't do anything with that one. On the other hand there's rdesktop, vnc and the like.

What it boils down to is that the community developers will always work on the applications that are most desirable to themselves, not what somebody else (non-developers) wish for. So, to get _everything_ under the sun the developer base (read: N800 customers, or hopefully in the future, N800+compatible/Hildon devices) must be _huge_, to increase the chances of including those who would want to write the application.