Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
No, this is wrong.

There is Nokia hardware in 770/N800/N810/N900 that Nokia does not release the code or the relevant programming interface.
Not necessarily. You're thinking in terms of Nokia's past practices mostly on older devices. It remains to be seen just how all this will shake out with MeeGo. But with opening up Qt, Symbian and now MeeGo, they now seem to have a much more open attitude in general. And qgil has said (somewhere here, don't ask me to find the post) Nokia may be willing to open up drivers for their own hardware in MeeGo, but that some drivers belong to other manufacturers (TI, etc.) and it would be on them to follow suit.

Maybe I'm wrong...but I'd rather hope for the best than assume the worst.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-03-21 at 19:24.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
This may be a bit off topic but can someone (Quim?) confirm that Harmattan/MeeGo will be shipping with Theora codec?
I mean, Vorbis support is confirmed, but what about Theora? All the bug reports regarding shipping with Theora are being marked as duplicates for bug that is just about Vorbis being there on default.

So has Nokia changed it's views regarding Theora & submarine patents or not?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ColonelKilkenny View Post
This may be a bit off topic but can someone (Quim?) confirm that Harmattan/MeeGo will be shipping with Theora codec?
I mean, Vorbis support is confirmed, but what about Theora? All the bug reports regarding shipping with Theora are being marked as duplicates for bug that is just about Vorbis being there on default.

So has Nokia changed it's views regarding Theora & submarine patents or not?
Though I must say that the appeal of Theora on Harmattan is not that great, considering it's not a codec supported by the OMAP3s hardware acceleration module. While cool from a community/FOSS perspective, I fear it will mean little in practice.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Though I must say that the appeal of Theora on Harmattan is not that great, considering it's not a codec supported by the OMAP3s hardware acceleration module. While cool from a community/FOSS perspective, I fear it will mean little in practice.
That's true but it would be still a quite big step forward when it comes to HTML5 debate etc. Biggest possible player (when it comes to devices) supporting not just h.264 but also Theora. That might help getting hardware support as well.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
But with opening up Qt, Symbian and now MeeGo, they now seem to have a much more open attitude in general.
Not picking on anyone specifically, but I see this myth going around a lot lately. Nokia didn't open Qt, Trolltech did. After a long and controversial/convoluted history, Qt 4.0 was licenced under the GPLv2 back in 2005, and then they added GPLv3 in 2008 (just a few days before the Nokia acquisition was announced).

Nokia just added LGPLv2.1 (note: not v3!) so it can be used for closed-source apps without royalties. GPLv3 and commercial licences are still available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Though I must say that the appeal of Theora on Harmattan is not that great, considering it's not a codec supported by the OMAP3s hardware acceleration module.
Neither is vorbis, but many of us have been happily enjoying our .oggs for years :-)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Neither is vorbis, but many of us have been happily enjoying our .oggs for years :-)
Sure, but .oggs are a tad different story as audio is not as taxing on today's hardware as high resolution video is.

BTW, DSP-decoded Theora on OMAP3 may still happen :-)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by lma View Post
BTW, DSP-decoded Theora on OMAP3 may still happen :-)
The blog post says: "A big thanks to the people that laid the foundations for this work, especially Felipe Contreras."

Indeed!