Notices

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
by lagging i meant to say that it could be pure qml-like app,fluent ,greasy or lets say more responsive.By lagging i mean ,it takes a little bit time to render the page from top to bottom ,scroll works ok but still i think it needs a little bit tweaking,Then i would suggest that there should be two big options on the sides to turn to next page or the previous one. Double click idea is great but i think the options to turn to next page are quite tiny there and also what if we want to read something with keyboard closed ?So probably there should be big arrows to point out a direction to next page or to previous one. sorry my english sucks .But i hope you understand.

Last edited by imo; 2012-10-24 at 20:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
@imo:
Just a tip (no offense) - Use some formating and proper interpunction in your posts, as now they're pretty awful to read, and require *much* good will to do.

It would be shame, if sense of your post would be lost due to its form.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by imo View Post
by lagging i meant to say that it could be pure qml-like app,fluent ,greasy or lets say more responsive.By lagging i mean ,it takes a little bit time to render the page from top to bottom ,scroll works ok but still i think it needs a little bit tweaking,Then i would suggest that there should be two big options on the sides to turn to next page or the previous one. Double click idea is great but i think the options to turn to next page are quite tiny there and also what if we want to read something with keyboard closed ?So probably there should be big arrows to point out a direction to next page or to previous one. sorry my english sucks .But i hope you understand.
1. Speeding up the rendering process is hard and won't happen in the near future. The only optimization, I can think of is rendering the page in a lower maximal resolution and scale the resulting image after a certain zoom level. It may be possible to render only a part of the page, but this may slow dwon scrolling enourmously.
2. Page turn: You can use the volume buttons (on N900) or the tap zones on the bottom and top. I would not prefer to introduce larger buttons, since they hide the text.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Version 0.8.10 is out, which is bugfix release with some additional improvements:
  • the text mode (which is no longer white on white - one bugfix) combines very short lines to longer ones
  • each annotation and the eraser have their own key now (N: note (“Text”), D: draw freehand(“Ink”), E: eraser), but you have to switch to annotation mode with A (or the pen button in the main menu) first
  • you can remove single entries from both histories (recent files and in-document) without clearing the entire list

Now there's also a Windows version (see gitorious).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
One thing I really found annoying: having to tap twice on the screen to display the GUI and go to next page.
I know that I can use the keyboard shortcut, but that's not how I would like to use this reader.

I may have not seen it, but I wish that you could implement an option to simply scroll through pages via the touch screen

thanks for this useful software

EDIT: of course I read afterward about the volume button to turn page ...

Last edited by pierrem; 2012-11-01 at 21:37.

After the second question of that kind I think, I'll enlarge the tap zones a bit, it's quite hard to hit them without the stylus. Did you try to hit them or don't they seem to be something touchable?

It's just that as any average user, I never bothered to read the documentation and therefore I was no aware of this feature.

Now that I know about it, it seems to work OK, but it is not intuitive: as said above, the behavior that I expected was sliding a finger in one direction to go the next or previous page.

But given the time spent to render a page, it is better to use a tap or an existing physical button.
An animated icon specifying that the action as been recorded and is processed would be useful though.

The Following User Says Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
It's ok that you didn't read the documentation, it should work without (at least this was my intention).

However I don't agree that swiping is the only natural solution. I didn't want to use it here, because many PDFs will be to large for the screen and scrolling via a QML Flickable takes precedence and is even more natural I think. This does of curse not hold for an epub reader or similar, which always displays the entire page (or better: redefines how long a page is).

Some other readers (e.g. CoolReader and Orion Viewer on Android) use larger invisible tap zones or swiping. What I dislike about them is, that you may unintentionally switch the page if you try a long click or touch the screen accidentally (happens easy on devices with very sensitive infrared touch screens like the PRS-T1). So I made the zones small and slightly visible, however a relative height (10%) is not a solution that fits all devices.

The status icon you proposed is already on my list but was neglected. I'll implement one for the next release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Version 0.8.20 now features larger tap zones and a loading icon.

Interestingly it took three approaches until such a simple thing as a loading icon worked. It's not so easy to force a declarative view to update itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Why can't I access my SD card? The File dialog does not let me get to it. There seems to be an SD card icon next to the "file" button, but it is greyed out. I can access the SD card just fine with other applications.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/