Originally Posted by caa View Post
I notice that press release mentioned 'London, United Kingdom' and is presumably one of the Nokia World announcements.

However, as the handset isn't even officially available in the UK, this seems slightly strange. I wonder if this means Nokia will sell the white version in the UK, or just that it was unfortunately announced in the UK (where it will not be sold)?
Especially as the Windows Phones are coming out in UK in matter of a week or two, certainly the latter.
Nokia showed the white N9 in Nokia World where it has it's own booth. Nokia World isn't afterall country specific with people attending from tens of different countries.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
apparently one can see lotsa pr1.1 stuff here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mmex...layer_embedded

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pebby View Post
Our precious is here. Sorry for the poor pictures, shooting them on a 6 year old dumbphone. I ordered via Negri on Monday, and it came today.

I'm working now, but I'll report some more info as soon as I get a chance to play with it a bit. I'll also have to cut/replace my SIM to actually test all the phone stuff.
is yours made in china? and is it branded by a cellular company from overseas?

Originally Posted by asianmoomoo View Post
is yours made in china? and is it branded by a cellular company from overseas?
The protective plastic wrapping it came in and SIM tray have stickers that say 'made in china,' and, thus far, I have noticed no branding. If you want me to look anywhere in particular, let me know, and I'll check it out.

Edit: Just a bit of additional info (which also makes it sound like it's definitely meant for sale in SE Asia/Australia) - the warranty booklet that came with it says this: "Manufacturer's Limited Warranty: For Products purchased and intended for sale in India and the South East Asia Pacific region including (various countries) but excluding Australia and New Zealand). This Limited Warranty is in addition to, and does not affect your legal (statutory) rights under your applicable national laws relating to the sale of consumer products." It also lists separate warranty sections for Australia and NZ.

It then goes on to detail the warranty, including all the usual mumbo jumbo. I'm not sure how, exactly, that applies to all the questions of US warranty, but the bit at the end makes it sound as if 'your country's usual laws about required warranties are still valid.' What that's like here in the US, though... I am no expert (yet).

Last edited by Pebby; 2011-10-26 at 20:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pebby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Especially as the Windows Phones are coming out in UK in matter of a week or two, certainly the latter.
Nokia showed the white N9 in Nokia World where it has it's own booth. Nokia World isn't afterall country specific with people attending from tens of different countries.
adding insult to injury... not only wont they release in the uk but they actually announce a new white version in london (which they also wont release here) .. wp wont get me i will get n9 !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moepda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
If they hadnt released the N9 Id probably be getting the Lumia.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pedroesteban View Post
Nokia 800: 420 EUR
Nokia N9: 599 EUR / 699 EUR

Didn't they say that the N9 was expensive because of the complex machining of the polycarbonate body and the curved screen?!?

If N9 price doesn't go down, conspiracy theories prove to be true.
Not to apologize for the huge prize difference, because basically I think it's Nokia (Elop) on the other hand trying to cash-in with N9 and on the other hand trying to make Windows Phones attractive prize-wise to get market share...

But as is public knowledge, the Windows Phones are not actually manufactured by Nokia, but by Compal. The N9's are truly Nokia made, in Finland for european market (which will make them more expensive due to workforce alone). For the asian market they're made in China, which would probably equate smaller workforce cost.

I also read this comment in OSNews, take this as you will, as I have no idea personally about these manufactuaring processes:

"Nokia also made a point that the speakers holes are drilled in the 800. In the N9 they are also, since the N9 is carved from a bigger piece of plastic. The 800 isn't, it is "injection molded", just like all the other mobile phones today. So either the production method for the N9 had serious problems, so Nokia killed that too, or compal just couldn't use a similar production method."

So the combination of these two facts may allude for some of the price difference. But like I said, I think there's deeper eloppy strategic reasons for them also.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the manufacturing process between these phones is indeed different. Damned if I remember what the difference was. I'm paraphrasing now using my notoriously white-noise filled memory, but the N9 is carved out of

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Anyone knows if Lumina 800 is the same hardware as the N9?

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Its not. Different and better CPU, less RAM, lower resolution, smaller screen... There are differences.

Originally Posted by Val Demar View Post
Anyone knows if Lumina 800 is the same hardware as the N9?
not complete but u get the gist.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/siblings-of...okia-n9-table/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????