Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
From http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...er/000739.html

Hi there,

Once again we have a major milestone release available for your Nokia N900, see http://wiki.meego.com/N900#Image_releases. This release is dedicated to our valued community member Gary Birkett, who sadly passed away few weeks ago. We miss you, lcuk. See the memorial thread: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4524.

This time around we focused on making a MeeGo 1.3 based release, which brings in lots of goodies such as Qt 4.8 and Qt Quick Components. As you'll notice, we have made a significant step forward in the overall performance on the N900. This release is also mostly compatible with MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan that runs the Nokia N9 and N950 developer device. Hence you should be able to run same Qt apps on both platforms easily. As you can see from the image name it's labeled as 'testing', hence you can expect some loss of functionality when compared to MeeGo 1.2 based builds. For those 1.2 builds, I recommend this one: http://repository.maemo.org/meego/n9...08-29.1/images.

One of our targets was also to have full support for N950 (and N9) device. The work has been completed and we are really satisfied with the results. We are doing everything we can to bring you an effortless way to flash your N950/N9 device, but there is still certain internal alignment that needs to happen first before sharing that. Sorry about this delay.

Oh, and one more thing.. as a special bonus we have a x86 image as well, you can try that on your Atom-based PC or tablet (http://repository.maemo.org/meego/n9...-ia32-testing/).

Happy hacking!
Jukka
In addition to that mail, as stated in another thread, we also have a new steering group in place. This is modelled on lcuk's proposal from http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/CE_Steering_Group

Steering group is: Carsten Munk (Stskeeps), Jukka Eklund (jukkaeklund), Tom Swindell (alterego), Marko Saukko (Sage) and Vesa-Matti Hartikainen (veskuh)

Their first meeting will be this Tuesday at 11:00 UTC, public and on IRC in #meego-meeting on irc.freenode.net - I'm sure there's a lot of questions what now, with this Tizen news and all.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 72 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Is the swap bug fixed for native installation on the N900 instead of the external card?

Great news!!!
Thank you very much!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Is the swap bug fixed for native installation on the N900 instead of the external card?
We typically test with the microSD card so I don't have an overview if it's 'fixed'. Let me explain the problem in question.

MeeGo images come in 4gb sizes - it's a image file that pretty much contains the exact data of a SD card. What is being written to the eMMC is exactly this data, no more, no less

The 'part' lines in this indicate how the partition layout looks like.

This means that when the image is installed, the eMMC is partitioned as such:

p1: 3.6gb ext4
p2: 8mb swap
p3: 32mb FAT partition
<rest of the emmc space free for partitions>

In our normal SD card setup, we try to use the eMMC's typical setup to use this as swap - it's always bad to swap on same disk as you have the OS on. This means that our /etc/fstab has mmcblk1p3 marked as to be swapped on (eMMC partition 3). And well, since we overwrote the eMMC, we don't have that available. We don't want to live-resize partitions / auto setup partitions as it takes too long on boot

To deal with this, you use a partition editor, possibly cfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 inside MeeGo, add the additional partition after partition 3 on eMMC, let's call it p4, mark it as swap - with like 2-3 gb's of swap

After a reboot, then you mkswap /dev/mmcblk0p4 and change the mmcblk1p3 in /etc/fstab to mmcblk0p4 - and you have your swap active.

CE 1.3 might in fact perform better now as it doesn't swap as much.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
No i dont think so it is fixed..although my Emmc installed failed one a many times so i could not test it....still i would recommend installing it on the Sdcard, cause 1.3 has some loss of functionality as stskeeps said. That said, the performance on this one is good...been testing it for a few days now! thank you meego community.

EDIT : wonderfully explained stskeeps!

The Following User Says Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
From http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...er/000739.html

In addition to that mail, as stated in another thread, we also have a new steering group in place. This is modelled on lcuk's proposal from http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/CE_Steering_Group

Steering group is: Carsten Munk (Stskeeps), Jukka Eklund (jukkaeklund), Tom Swindell (alterego), Marko Saukko (Sage) and Vesa-Matti Hartikainen (veskuh)

Their first meeting will be this Tuesday at 11:00 UTC, public and on IRC in #meego-meeting on irc.freenode.net - I'm sure there's a lot of questions what now, with this Tizen news and all.
The CE team has done a GREAT JOB! Keep going! I hope more people getting involved to make N9xx keep going and be a replacement for "deprectaded" Maemo5 in a halfyear or so :-)

Btw... I had seen that some Qml apps seems to run better on Meego CE than Maemo5 that proves that "Meego CE" is the way to go.

However I wouldn't mind if the steering group decided to change name to "MER" or "Maemo CE" to make the rumors stop about a "dead platform" also give the project a some kind of "hypefactor" cause people may think "yay a great new OS"

I mean with all the "mess" behind Meego it has got alot of bad reputation even if the CE team has done a great job

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
However I wouldn't mind if the steering group decided to change name to "MER" or "Maemo CE" to make the rumors stop about a "dead platform" also give the project a some kind of "hypefactor" cause people may think "yay a great new OS"
this was my initial reaction (for the reasons you mention), but after reflection, I don't think it's that great an idea for two main reasons

1) while MeeGo has (rightfully, in some ways) gained a bad reputation, no publicity is bad publicity - it's better to be well known and fix your reputation than start off and nobody know about you;

2) I think that the 'press' (and people in general) are getting tired of 'new' platforms all the time, the reception to Tizen has done nothing to change my opinion here. We have a (reasonably) established product that needs polish under a (reasonably) established name, let's keep going with our incremental progress and reap the rewards

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
... that's if it turns out possible to keep the name, obviously

Somebody please post videos of Meego CE 1.3!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PartyboyXP For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Is there ANY possible chance that meego could be available as a progammable os for the N900 completely taking over the Maemo os instead of running from an sd card ?.

Tags
community, meego