Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Hi Everyone,

With great fanfare (OK, perhaps not), I can now announce the MaeFlight application for Maemo 5!

MaeFlight is an Python/QT application that enables you to check your airline's flight status from your Maemo 5 powered device. Enter your airline code and flight number, and it will display the current status, departure time, departure airport, arrival time and arrival airport.

For further information on your flight, you can click on 'Details' to go to the FlightStats.com website for more information about the flight.

For information about your upcoming flight, or if you are looking at a flight departing at a different timezone that is a day ahead, there is a 'Today/Tomorrow' button that toggles between today's date and tomorrow's.

The application is currently in Extras-Devel (non-free) repository.

Current Version: 5.1.3-1

WARNING: Applications in Extras-Devel and Extras-Testing are for experienced users only and may break your device, use at your own risk.

The usual warnings and limitation of liability apply - please install at your own risk - you have been warned (esp. important since this is my first Maemo application).

Obligatory screenshots:

Name:  taking off icon square 64.png
Views: 2637
Size:  8.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot-20100224-222921.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  25.6 KB

Known issues:
1. I think dependencies are OK now, but please report back any issues to this thread.

Upcoming Enhancements:
1. Pick list for airline codes
2. More informative statuses - currently active flights show as 'Active' - will try to offer better granularity such as 'on-time', etc with colour coding

Fixed Issues (v5.1.1-1):
1. One dependency issue fixed
2. Finger scrollable area for airline status
3. Fantastic icon courtesy of kopte3 (thank you!)
4. 'Numeric only' entry in Flight Number box

Fixed Issues (v5.1.2-2):
1. Update for PR1.2
2. Icon now shows up in App Manager
3. Bug Tracker setup on bugs.maemo.org

Fixed Issues (v5.1.3-1):
1. Fixed Bug 11255
2. Fixed Bug 11256

Personal Aside:
I started this task 4 weeks ago. This is my first Maemo application. I installed scratchbox, learned some Python and QT, as well as packaging from the available documentation on maemo.org. I had to ask a few questions here on the fora, as well on the maemo-developers mailing list.

I do not do software development or anything remotely related to this in my day job. I am saying this as a tribute to the wealth of knowledge that is in our maemo.org world. With some experimentation, lots of reading, and with the advice of a few helpful people here, I was able to get this application into the repository 4 weeks after embarking on the project (my evenings have been interesting, to say the least). Thank you to all people who have contributed to our collective knowledge base!

Last edited by EIPI; 2010-09-14 at 03:56. Reason: updated for new version 5.1.2-2

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Hi, and thank you.
Just installed your app, it installs fine, and for me it's quite useful (actually first real life usage will be tomorrow )
If I may have a few suggestions re: user interface/layout:
1. Using a different theme (Marina) I get white lines and square corners around the two input boxes (the rounded corners are inside the square white corners). Basically it's like each input box sits inside a white rectangle 2px larger on both left and right, but same size vertically.
2. Regarding layout, in my opinion it would make better use of available space to have the input boxes, the search and today/tomorrow buttons on the left side, stacked on top of each other, with the large info area on the right. Input boxes should be smaller (3-4 chars at most for the airline code and 5-6 chars for the flight number). Labels would stay on a top horizontal line (Airline, Flight No and then Info - new label for the info text area).
3. Details should be a link, not a button. This is on the theory that pressing a button always keeps you inside the application, and people expect this. A link on the other hand signifies leaving the current place (the app). I'd also move it inside the text area, just above the 'Data courtesy of...' bit, and change it to 'More details...'
4. I wouldn't worry that dragging over the info text area selects the text, since it's useful to be able to copy/paste it in an email or a message.
5. This is just an idea, not sure if it's really useful, but.. Maybe the flight info can be parsed and displayed in a form/table instead of the info text area.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adancau For This Useful Post:
Is the flight number box coded for just numbers only? I'm not a frequent flier(yet, but work may be changing that), so don't know if flight numbers ever have letters in them!

If it's not, and flight numbers are just numbers, I would suggest ensuring that the hardware keyboard inputs numbers when in that field and using it, without having to press the lovely little blue arrow every single first.

When you say "numeric pad popup" is it just going to be an in-line keypad or the full virtual keyboard? Just a small keypad would be so much nicer, if possible. But also goes back to my first question about flight number characters...

The Following User Says Thank You to Inacurate For This Useful Post:
@adancau:
1. I will look at different themes to see what is happening there. Thanks.
3. I wanted details to be a link, but could not get the QTextBrowser object to open the link correctly. The link would be assembled correctly, but then when the browser opened, the url would not be correct. I put the details button mainly to overcome this, but will investigate this further.
4. I think this is an issue when you have multi-leg flights.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
@Inacurate:
I was thinking a pure ten digit numeric pad, not the whole vkbd. Not sure if flight numbers have letters, but I doubt it.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
...For those of us that prefer CLI:

add to ~/.profile

Code:
flight_status() { if [[ $# -eq 3 ]];then offset=$3; else offset=0; fi; curl "http://mobile.flightview.com/TrackByRoute.aspx?view=detail&al="$1"&fn="$2"&dpdat=$(cu-date +%Y%m%d -d ${offset}day)" 2>/dev/null |html2text |grep ":"; }

then simply run

Code:
$ flight_status LH 471

Departure: Toronto, ON (YYZ)
Scheduled: 6:15 PM, Feb 20
Takeoff:   6:41 PM, Feb 20
Term-Gate: Terminal T1 - 172
Arrival:   Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Scheduled: 8:05 AM, Feb 21
Estimated: 8:23 AM, Feb 21
Remaining: 3 hr 41 min
Term-Gate: Terminal 1
^ for today

Code:
$ flight_status LH 471 +1

Scheduled: 6:15 PM, Feb 21
Term-Gate: Terminal T1 - 173
Scheduled: 8:05 AM, Feb 22
^ for tomorrow

Code:
$ flight_status LH 471 -1

Scheduled: 6:15 PM, Feb 19
Takeoff:   6:31 PM, Feb 19
Term-Gate: Terminal T1 - 172
Scheduled: 8:05 AM, Feb 20
At Gate:   8:30 AM, Feb 20
^ for yesterday

Requirements:
* html2text (it's in the SDK repo if not the regular repo)
* curl ( http://www.box.net/os2008#os2008/1/38267044/393488254/1 )
* date (CoreUtils version, not busybox; http://www.box.net/os2008#os2008/1/38267044/393493066/1 )
rename cu-date.rename to cu-date and place in /usr/bin and give it executable permission

i.e.:
Code:
# mv cu-date.rename  /usr/bin/cu-date
# chmod +x /usr/bin/cu-date
P.S.
runs great on linux desktop too
Code:
flight_status() { if [[ $# -eq 3 ]];then offset=$3; else offset=0; fi; curl "http://mobile.flightview.com/TrackByRoute.aspx?view=detail&al="$1"&fn="$2"&dpdat=$(date +%Y%m%d -d ${offset}day)" 2>/dev/null |html2text |grep ":"; }

Also if you are using busybox date or enter an invalid date, you still get some useful info

Code:
$ flight_status LH 471 +x

date: invalid date `+xday'
Departing: ???, ??
Arriving: ???, ??
Time: -
Date: Mon, January 1
Actual Takeoff: 6:31*PM, Feb*19
At Gate:        8:30*AM, Feb*20
Actual Takeoff:    6:41*PM, Feb*20
Estimated Arrival: 8:19*AM, Feb*21
Scheduled Departure: 6:15*PM, Feb*21
Scheduled Arrival:   8:05*AM, Feb*22
Scheduled Departure: 6:15*PM, Feb*23
Scheduled Arrival:   8:05*AM, Feb*24
--More--

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Am currently sat in Birmingham International Airport where the runway has just been closed due to "adverse weather conditions" (snow). Probably a bit late to d/l this app now - but I'll certainly get it for next time!

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
...For those of us that prefer CLI:

add to ~/.profile

Code:
flight_status() { if [[ $# -eq 3 ]];then offset=$3; else offset=0; fi; curl "http://mobile.flightview.com/TrackByRoute.aspx?view=detail&al="$1"&fn="$2"&dpdat=$(cu-date +%Y%m%d -d ${offset}day)" 2>/dev/null |html2text |grep ":"; }
I just tried it on my desktop, and it worked great. I don't have curl, so I substituted wget -O -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Yup
Code:
flight_status() { if [[ $# -eq 3 ]];then offset=$3; else offset=0; fi; wget -O - "http://mobile.flightview.com/TrackByRoute.aspx?view=detail&al="$1"&fn="$2"&dpdat=$(date +%Y%m%d -d ${offset}day)" 2>/dev/null |html2text |grep ":"; }
works fine, hmm maybe I should tinker with it and get it working using busybox date and eliminate more dependencies....

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Hey

Installation went trough OK, and the application started Ok, but It doesn't search anything. I rebooted device and the result was the same.

I have the newest firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to koivjann For This Useful Post:

Tags
flight, maeflight, python, status