Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I thought RIM tablets were being sold as mere extensions of a BlackBerry. If true, that would be reminiscent of Palm which almost had a slam dunk with their Foleo that was a "netbook before we knew that netbooks existed". But it was an epic fail b/c you couldn't get onto the Internet except via a Palm smartphone. I thought that RIM was in the process of making the same terrible mistake. Was I incorrect?
the first version they are going to release is the wifi version. everything seemed to work fine. but obviously, i dont know how they would pin or do any pim functioning with regards to the BES-type of stuff.

there is another article with a good review from the ces show where he states that you have to bridge it from a curent bb device with service.

to me, this means you are expecting the BB service on the tablet as in the device and such the same with the BES services with remote wipe, pim, pin, etc.

i like the tablet like it is and do not care about the bes stuff nor do i need it or wish to pay extra for this service. so his article talks as a negative because it has to link with another service you already have on bb.

the second version is supposed to be a wifi/wimax version and going to be with sprint. sprint is a big supporter of bb devices so that is no supprise. and to relate to the article here, as there are NO HANDSETS WITH VOICE on wimax as of yet, only data cards and other data products, who knows how they expect to have a billing setup or service setup with these new devices on the new networks like wimax and lte.

as for the email, i saw it as liken to the nokia phones, where you would be able to by pass the nokia messaging client and use the standard email client.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
NIT Comb............

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
NIT Comb............
NIT whit?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post

there is another article with a good review from the ces show where he states that you have to bridge it from a curent bb device with service.

to me, this means you are expecting the BB service on the tablet as in the device and such the same with the BES services with remote wipe, pim, pin, etc.

i like the tablet like it is and do not care about the bes stuff nor do i need it or wish to pay extra for this service. so his article talks as a negative because it has to link with another service you already have on bb.

as for the email, i saw it as liken to the nokia phones, where you would be able to by pass the nokia messaging client and use the standard email client.
I guess I have a hard time understanding the complaint that you won't get BES data without being tethered to a BB. The tablet doesn't have 3G so you are going to use it simultaneously with a cellphone in order to get phone calls. If you have BES service, then you have a BB. I think BB Connect is gone now, no?

And I have a hard time understanding the complaint that the tablet does no more than duplicate the BES data when its tethered. Well, if you are using the tablet for browsing, etc., then you are not going to pull out the BB when you get an email.

If RIM won't permit 3rd party messaging clients on the Playbook, then I agree shame on them. But we don't know that yet.

Yes, you are paying for some BES/bb functionality with the playbook and a premium for some other things too.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I thought RIM tablets were being sold as mere extensions of a BlackBerry. If true, that would be reminiscent of Palm which almost had a slam dunk with their Foleo that was a "netbook before we knew that netbooks existed". But it was an epic fail b/c you couldn't get onto the Internet except via a Palm smartphone. I thought that RIM was in the process of making the same terrible mistake. Was I incorrect?
The foleo could do web on its own. What was never adequately answered was that of email. Sometimes it sounded as if it could do email on its own, other times that it needed to sync with the palm phone for that. This on top of trying to get it to not only talk nicely to palmos devices, but winmob device (i suspect microsoft where stalling as much as they could get away with there).

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Isn't Maemo 5 the 4th step out of 5?

I stopped putting importance on generation(s) mainly because of how it's potentially perceived. 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 could be seen as incremental steps or seen as generations. I just see them as incremental steps of the OS and have to differentiate between the hardware as the generations now.

Edit: Oops, didn't see danramos post above... basically said the same thing as him.
I suspect Nokia have dropped that vision of maemo/meego.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
NIT whit?

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I guess I have a hard time understanding the complaint that you won't get BES data without being tethered to a BB. The tablet doesn't have 3G so you are going to use it simultaneously with a cellphone in order to get phone calls. If you have BES service, then you have a BB. I think BB Connect is gone now, no?

And I have a hard time understanding the complaint that the tablet does no more than duplicate the BES data when its tethered. Well, if you are using the tablet for browsing, etc., then you are not going to pull out the BB when you get an email.

If RIM won't permit 3rd party messaging clients on the Playbook, then I agree shame on them. But we don't know that yet.

Yes, you are paying for some BES/bb functionality with the playbook and a premium for some other things too.
There are reports that the Playbook can be configured to cache BES data for variable period.

More explanation of Playbook's BB dependency here.

http://blogs.forbes.com/elizabethwoy...-a-blackberry/

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
so Im assuming for easter e-yes is gonna port this to n900 as well

looks awesome, though. sure we dont have hovercars even if they are eleven years overdue, but this is at least something!

This is specific to the Motorola Xoom, but it seems like a TERRIBLE decision if it's true:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/06/v...-one-month-of/

"To activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of one month data subscription is required."

Tags
android envy, not really open