Any update on this anyone? I am willing to pay a decent sum of money to whoever can implement a fix or a loophole. I constantly use the phone for wireless music connections at work, in the car, and hiking. Would absolutely love to not have this issue anymore. It's absolutely amazing that one of the product pitches for this phone was its wireless music capability and the NFC chip connectivity only to not have it work 100 percent properly

The Following User Says Thank You to justadude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
for info, I am trying to test currently the use of a gconf key to limit the interval of wifi scanning and then to remove the bad stuttering when it does.
So far, I only tested this morning and it seems to be perfectly covering the issue. But it probably needs more test before making sure that this is it.
You can check the last page of the profilematic page and see the hint from ajalkane: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79642&page=68
And if you have some money to give, donate to him

For the moment, I change the gconf key to 0 after I found this example in http://mg.pov.lt/share-wifi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
I will gladly donate to the individual/s who has made progress in this matter. I would need something a little more complete to test. Instead of just setting scanning to 0, couldn't there be conditions to stop scanning once a wifi connection has been made and/or when bluetooth connection is active? Can it be made into a settings menu with slide switches for those types of options? You guys are getting into the realm of the limit of my understanding of how the system works so obviously for people like myself we would need something a little more straightforward to work with thanks so much for the reply!

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Instead of just setting scanning to 0, couldn't there be conditions to stop scanning once a wifi connection has been made and/or when bluetooth connection is active?
This is possible with ProfileMatic. You can use WiFi condition, then in Custom Action the gconf command to disable/enable WiFi scanning.

Bluetooth conditions will come later, maybe next version.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Additional test this morning suggests that this is not 'magic'. Indeed the automatic scanning seems to be stopped but obviously if you are not connected to internet, and something like a regular email check is asking for internet connection, then the system will try to connect using first wifi and then GSM. In that case, I had some stuttering.

But at least it seems much more manageable, especially using profitematic

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Additional test this morning suggests that this is not 'magic'. Indeed the automatic scanning seems to be stopped but obviously if you are not connected to internet, and something like a regular email check is asking for internet connection, then the system will try to connect using first wifi and then GSM. In that case, I had some stuttering.
So enabling also PSM should help with that? Better would be to disable "Background connections". I had that implemented, but it did not work correctly on PR1.2. Maybe I should try if it's fixed in PR1.3 and I can change it using gconf.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
So enabling also PSM should help with that? Better would be to disable "Background connections". I had that implemented, but it did not work correctly on PR1.2. Maybe I should try if it's fixed in PR1.3 and I can change it using gconf.
I guess the other possibility is to keep internet connected with GSM while you listen to music. So that would be PSM off, background connections on.
The important point is that it does not connect so either it is already connected or it keeps being not connected.
It probably becomes a user preference.

But it would be nice if others try and see how it works for them.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
I guess the other possibility is to keep internet connected with GSM while you listen to music. So that would be PSM off, background connections on.
The important point is that it does not connect so either it is already connected or it keeps being not connected.
It probably becomes a user preference.

But it would be nice if others try and see how it works for them.
I mountain bike where there is often no cellphone coverage and use bt headphones and get dropouts. My solution is to go to flight mode, then re-enable BT. No other method works for me & it means i cant use sportstracker but that is hopeless on the n9 anyway. Would be nice to find a way to do this without taking the phone offline though.

I've set it to 0 and it's been working great for me. But I did flash my N9 completely including the eMMC. It works amazing now. FRESH.

I don't know if setting to 0 did this but my N9's battery performance is now superb! Bluetooth stuttering for me at least has been eliminated so far.

I did an hour and a half drive with bluetooth streaming yesterday and I did not hear any stuttering or quality degradation. I would agree with P@t to make sure you're connected to GPRS before you stream and you should be fine.

Right. I think I misunderstood your original posting. I thought it was, because of the scanning setting, asking you for internet connection. But it was asking because you had no connection at all (no GSM nor WLAN).

But like you said, it's good to get different experiences on this so that good solutions for different use cases are found (with or without ProfileMatic).

So to help with that, I'll write here what I understand to be the commands to disable and enable WiFi scanning.

Disable WiFi scanning:
Code:
gconftool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval -t int 0
Restore WiFi scanning (every 5 minutes):
Code:
gconftool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval -t int 300
You should be able to enter these commands directly to ProfileMatic's custom action's to bind them to conditions you wish. Or, of course, run them directly from terminal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: