Active Topics

Hello, it's my first post here.

I recently digged into the topic of whether Sailfish Silica components were supposed or not to be open sourced. I've published results of my investigation in a blog post.

I think it's worth to ask here on TMO what do you think.about that?

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to fk_lx For This Useful Post:
Jolla promised in the past that they'll be open. They should keep the promise. Ideally the whole Sailfish should be open sourced. This closed source-ness plagued Nokia for years, and I hope Jolla will be able to get rid of it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-04-29 at 15:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
There is a weekly IRC meeting meant for raising up those issues. You might like to pop in and raise the Silica issue so it gets more attention. Here is the invitation for the next meeting https://lists.sailfishos.org/piperma...il/004098.html

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Be open is a choice.

Why not make this choice since the first day?
Probably because this will never happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, I'm open for that.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Be open is a choice.

Why not make this choice since the first day?
Probably because this will never happen.
Not true. Browser got opened after a while. That alone proves that your theory is not correct.

Anyway, I pointed what I think is the way to go which joining the meeting and speaking up. You can either do that and push for things to happen or stay here and continue whining.

This is all my opinion and does not represent Jolla's opinions.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
There is a weekly IRC meeting meant for raising up those issues. You might like to pop in and raise the Silica issue so it gets more attention. Here is the invitation for the next meeting https://lists.sailfishos.org/piperma...il/004098.html
10:00 UTC sounds like a bad time for US participants.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
10:00 UTC sounds like a bad time for US participants.
There are people in places like China and Australia who also need to be considered.

Read through what was discussed in the last meeting to understand some of the issues that Jolla is facing with open sourcing everything. http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-m...15.00.log.html

A lot of criticism I've see has come from a black and white philosophy of open vs closed wheras the problems and solutions are somewhere in the middle with the community and Jolla having to tiptoe around components that Jolla themselves have licensed to use from 3rd parties. "necessary: location, android runtime, keyboard prediction - just to name examples"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
We aren't talking about licensed components which should be kept optional in Sailfish if possible. We are talking about what Jolla develop themselves. I skimmed through the log (which is quite big). What exactly do you refer to regarding problems with opening code?

There is a reference to https://together.jolla.com/question/.../#post-id-6768 in the log. It just repeats, that UI should be closed, but it doesn't discuss any problems or reasoning. In essence it is black and white. I.e. preferred approach should be, use open code, unless it's impossible for a valid reason.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-04-29 at 23:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
Not true. Browser got opened after a while. That alone proves that your theory is not correct.

Anyway, I pointed what I think is the way to go which joining the meeting and speaking up. You can either do that and push for things to happen or stay here and continue whining.

This is all my opinion and does not represent Jolla's opinions.
Those meeting are only for few weeks, while Jolla out there for awhile and promises of open source even more. Those questions were asked via various media already. So do not tell me that just because there was no meeting and it was not asked at the meeting time it was not answered. For example there are few relevant TJC threads already. What would be next excuse?

Re-read the article again to get the point and stop telling that people do not try to communicate, it's mostly anyway like talking to the wall!

Tags
failfish, fishy smell