Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
This is video on a kejnote talk by Ari Jaaksi at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit:

http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1711

It's about 45min, so perfect for a rainy Saturday morning.

There are a number of other videos from the summit here:

http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video

Enjoy :-)

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to pinsh For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the video.

Nothing special out of it thought, at least nothing that we didn't knew.

I am glad that he, at least admitted, with Maemo they have done horrible job to attract developers and that GUI and end User satisfactions is really important for MeeGo, another area that they lack behind in Maemo...

For now it looks like MeeGo will follow exactly the same business plan with Android with the difference that MeeGo will be fully Open while Android is not fully Open and second Android is based on Linux kernel while MeeGo is a full linux OS. Both of those aspects have very little or none interest to the end user and by both being commercial products this is what is matters the most by the end of the day.

Maemo's strong aspects are multitasking and the amazing browsing experience. From my point of view if Android, with lets say Android 3.0 by the end of the year manage to face-lift their multitask experience and add Chrome Browser with Flash 10.1 support and DivX certification for their media player to Android platform plus with the huge support they have from developers, then it will be really, really really, I mean really hard for MeeGo (or anyone else) not to compete with it but come even close. I am not even discussing that Android is already inside many upcoming tablets and new hardware with it are leaking in weekly bases it may not be on TVs and cars yet but by already being in phones and tablets Android is already a multi hardware platform OS..

I guess time will tell. I am following both MeeGo and Android development very closely.

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2010-04-24 at 17:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Thanks for the video.

Nothing special out of it thought, at least nothing that we didn't knew.

I am glad that he, at least admitted, with Maemo they have done horrible job to attract developers and that GUI and end User satisfactions is really important for MeeGo, another area that they lack behind in Maemo...

For now it looks like MeeGo will follow exactly the same business plan with Android with the difference that MeeGo will be fully Open while Android is not fully Open and second Android is based on Linux kernel while MeeGo is a full linux OS. Both of those aspects have very little or none interest to the end user and by both being commercial products this is what is matters the most by the end of the day.

Maemo's strong aspects are multitasking and the amazing browsing experience. From my point of view if Android, with lets say Android 3.0 by the end of the year manage to face-lift their multitask experience and add Chrome Browser with Flash 10.1 support and DivX certification for their media player to Android platform plus with the huge support they have from developers, then it will be really, really really, I mean really hard for MeeGo (or anyone else) not to compete with it but come even close. I am not even discussing that Android is already inside many upcoming tablets and new hardware with it are leaking in weekly bases it may not be on TVs and cars yet but by already being in phones and tablets Android is already a multi hardware platform OS..

I guess time will tell. I am following both MeeGo and Android development very closely.
Google's philosophy will hinder Asian success, unless they find out another way to track its users without data connection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Google's philosophy will hinder Asian success, unless they find out another way to track its users without data connection.
True very true. Plus specifically speaking for Asia there is NO QUESTION that Nokia has the upper hand but again this doesn't change the general image.

Look the iPhone/Japan example. No one ever expected the a "west" develop product will be a success in this very advance mobile market and yet, it did extremely well.

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2010-04-24 at 18:11.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Maybe not to you, but both of those aspects (open, full linux OS) are of EXTREME importance to me, and I'm sure to many other users and developers.

All other considerations aside, the Big Brother is Watching aspect alone of Android phones makes them an automatic fail for me. I'll never own another Android phone.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
I think nokia should have placed the end-user satisfaction to top of their list much sooner, i know four people besides me that uses N900 and they are all very disapointed with the GUI and the experience they have had with this phone. Personally im very happy with my phone but only after all the modifications i have made.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Maybe not to you, but both of those aspects (open, full linux OS) are of EXTREME importance to me, and I'm sure to many other users and developers.

All other considerations aside, the Big Brother is Watching aspect alone of Android phones makes them an automatic fail for me. I'll never own another Android phone.
It doesn't matter. I mean there is no difference if you are working with a fully Open OS and Open source or a half Open OS but plenty of Official APIs for developers. APIs are better in my personal opinion because is an official code. Speaking for the commercial market always. This is why Android have 50.000+ Apps in the Android Market while Maemo users are waiting for some developer to find an open source code in order to modify it and port the application to Maemo.

As for the Big Brother eye I agree with you but we do not know how this will go. Maybe Android will change their privacy rules, maybe some MeeGo licensees will follow the same path. But even with Android's bad privacy policies this doesn't stop Google to sell 60,000 phones daily. This is a number that even Nokia the No1 phone manufacturer in the world with 41% smartphone market share, can be jealous of.

Originally Posted by janne.palo View Post
I think nokia should have placed the end-user satisfaction to top of their list much sooner, i know four people besides me that uses N900 and they are all very disapointed with the GUI and the experience they have had with this phone. Personally im very happy with my phone but only after all the modifications i have made.
Yes, as I said above this is something they admit in the video. A big slap to those in here was hitting on the guys asking for portrait mode, MMS better cal log etc. with the excuse that that the N900 is a mobile computer. Yes it is and its great but it a phone first of all and its a commercial product for an end-user use. The competition is already offering great products and thats making the problem even bigger. It doesn't get simpler than that and yet it took them so long to realize it. Not at all a good performance for an Open-Source//Open-Minded business

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2010-04-24 at 18:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
After the keynote was given, I found a writeup on the blog of the meego code coach and replied.
its an informative read especially on my take of maemo and just how far towards the ideal development processes we are - especially with community driven development and teamwork.

http://maclaver.wordpress.com/2010/0...ration-summit/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
here is imad sousou speech about meego

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chilko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
thanks for the links guys will watch and read now,
nice to see a thread worth reading on here there as been very few lately