Active Topics

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to t0mbola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Hmm, m N900 does not have an ALT-Key => ????
Neuther a reset button
How to solve this ?

LOL
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
You need to find the 'ANY' key. It's located behind the battery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:
jokes aside, i have this strange feeling nokia will be given more free reign to customize wp7 than the other oems. that will be nokia's "icing on the cake" to differentiate themselves from the likes of htc, samsung, dell etc. whether this works to convince the market to buy the devices is another matter. i suspect the target market is people who don't know and don't care what os the phone runs.

Originally Posted by droll View Post
jokes aside, i have this strange feeling nokia will be given more free reign to customize wp7 than the other oems. that will be nokia's "icing on the cake" to differentiate themselves from the likes of htc, samsung, dell etc. whether this works to convince the market to buy the devices is another matter. i suspect the target market is people who don't know and don't care what os the phone runs.
Nokia was granted exclusive rights to customize WP7 by Microsoft.
http://www.techit.in/2011/02/nokia-w...-dies-in-2012/

At least to me the talk was a but confusing from Nokia's direction if they are going to customize it or not.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
I don't agree with Nokia's decision (one reason I'm selling my N900), but I understand why they went in this direction. Anyone that has been in these forums knows Nokia had many chances to lead in the smartphone space.

They shocked the world with the 770, N800. The N810 was the start of the letdown because that should have been the first model with a phone or released a lot sooner. The N900 was great, but in hindsight they should have added a capacitive touch screen to make the move to Maemo 6 possible with the N900. Instead it was kind of still born.

With the Microsoft deal Nokia can become the premier supplier of Windows Phone X. Basically Microsoft will do the software and Nokia the hardware (plus some services). Nokia gets an OS that is very nice and has great integration capabilities (Zune, Xbox live). It's a known brand (for better or worse).

I would buy a Nokia phone with WP 7/8 on it. The only people this really hurts are the Symbian and Qt developers internally/externally. I would like to have heard Qt was being ported to WP 7. But Microsoft is considered one of the best tool suppliers out there, so...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Nokia was granted exclusive rights to customize WP7 by Microsoft.
http://www.techit.in/2011/02/nokia-w...-dies-in-2012/

At least to me the talk was a but confusing from Nokia's direction if they are going to customize it or not.
Customize as in to make Nokia WP7 devices incompatible with other WP7 devices, or as in to make WP7 apps run only on one of them, but not both - well that would be of course foolish. Customize as in to make Nokia WP7 devices "better" than plain ones; I certainly hope so.

The things that HTC and others are doing to Android are very interesting reference cases... How far can you customize without then breaking compatibility and fragmenting the platform.