Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
No I didn't do it.
I just fixed the control file for the .deb in order to have the .debs file install on the N800.

Actually I would like to look at the source code for jikes or/and jamvm and classpath as I think there is a bug somewhere.

My Java program (compiled on the Mac with Java1.4.2) does work on the Mac, but when I move it to the N800/770 it fails.
I make heavy use of BigIntegers and it fails to compute a modPow.

--
anidel

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Actually the problem may be that the .class files, generated with the standard JavaVM from Sun (1.4.2) ARE NOT fully compatible with JamVM.

I am investigating this more. (trying to compile everything with jikes)

Hi,
thanks a lot for this thread, now I`m able to run my java-applications on the nokia 770. The only bad thing is entering the two lines every time:

$ export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
$ export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath/glibj.zip:.

Is there a possibility to store them somewhere so that thig gets done automatic ?

I tried to insert the Lines into the .bashrc and the /etc/profiles - the .bashrc creates an error and the /etc/profiles crashed my device... Now i thought I ask before I have to set it up once again

Can someone please help?

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Try placing the environment variables and your java command line in a shell script file.

Its worked for me in the past on other unixes...

Okay, now I made a file j.sh with this content:

#!/bin/bash

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath/glibj.zip:.

when I run it with
sh j.sh
I get

: not found
: not found

So there is no possibility to store the variables in some configuration file so that they are known allredy on startup of XTerm?

If I login with SSH I don`t even have to enter these lines and it works. I think thats because the SSh Window is a login-shell and the XTerm Window on the device isn`t.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I've gotten a bit lost trying to understand the current status in this thread. I'd sure love to run certain Java programs on my tablet.

Are you guys saying it IS possible to run a (v1.4 at least) JAR program, as long as its AWT or SWT and not Swing (which a ton of apps use), and have a JVM (which one? depends on the app I assume) installed?

aleksandyr - do we first need to re-compile with this Jikes compiler instead of javac for some reason?

(grumble grumble, what's the problem with using Swing anyway?)

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Madrid - Spain
Java works perfectly well on the 810. The only thing to do is to install the package of the Jalimo example and if one wants graphics or windows, then the SWT Jalimo example.
The files can be compiled in a standard OS (Linux ?) including the eclipse SWT libraries, with the SUN javac (I use 1.5.0)
Everything works fine and the only limitations are the result of the limited SWT included in Jalimo.
What I don't know how to do is to compile IN the 810 as I don't find any compiler.